Novelist Seeking Gun Assistance

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Re: Novelist Seeking Gun Assistance

#21 Post by Sim G »

bnz41 wrote:If the person in the story needs to have a FN pistol then the only choice would be a FN Browning High Power in 9mmx19 as these had been manufactured since the late 30's.
One of the best pistols ever designed. Way ahead for its time and still very highly regarded.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#22 Post by bradaz11 »

Sim G wrote:
bnz41 wrote:If the person in the story needs to have a FN pistol then the only choice would be a FN Browning High Power in 9mmx19 as these had been manufactured since the late 30's.
One of the best pistols ever designed. Way ahead for its time and still very highly regarded.
but a Glock is apparently better.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Chapuis

#23 Post by Chapuis »

Based on a John Moses Browning initial design but completed by Dieudonné Saive a Belgium, so perhaps more appropriate to the story line. Just to add interest perhaps the pistol in the story could have been manufactured by FN when the factory was under German control during the war and have German markings.

#24 Post by 1066 »

Belgium would have also been awash with the P38 and Luger P08 both in 9mmx19
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Sim G

#25 Post by Sim G »

bradaz11 wrote:
Sim G wrote: but a Glock is apparently better.

Having used both extensively, I’d have to say not by a country mile!!

But what the Glock is, over many other manufactures, is cheaper. And there are some guns out there at the minute, that are even beating Glock on price whilst displaying reliability equal to the Austrian plastic brick.

But, as always here, we digress....

If I was going to arm a 1960s novel, I think it would be a Walther PPK in .380. But unfortunately, done to death by James Bond.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#26 Post by dromia »

You could also go the idiosyncratic rarity route to add a bit of firearm interest with a Webley Fosberry repeating revolver.

I loved mine and a stiff wrist and forearm was a definite requirement.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G

#27 Post by Sim G »

Astra 600. 9mm Para blowback! Very well made, unusual but a very good gun.

For me, revolvers that are big bored, short in barrel!

Union St

#28 Post by Union St »

Well, thank you all so much for the very good comments. I can dismiss the Glock, right? I'm thinking that my hero could be offered a small selection of, say, four guns and choses the FN based on its apparent condition. He has to dismiss the Browning because he is suspicious of the condition. I very much like the look of the Walther, but as you say, it cannot be used in literature ever again. Is there any way he can 'test' the condition and function of the gun without actually firing it?
Ovenpaa

#29 Post by Ovenpaa »

What about a C96 Mauser, I know it is a bit older but would have been around in the 60's and I never managed to get more than 2-3 rounds out of one before it locked back.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#30 Post by IainWR »

dromia wrote:You could also go the idiosyncratic rarity route to add a bit of firearm interest with a Webley Fosberry repeating revolver.

I loved mine and a stiff wrist and forearm was a definite requirement.
A Webley Fosberry was the pistol of choice of one of Walter Mitty's alter egos.