Mossberg MVP LR Tactical .308

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

leeroy7031
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

Mossberg MVP LR Tactical .308

#1 Post by leeroy7031 »

Does anyone have or has used one of these, looking to fill that MARS gap and I quite like the look of these... What I'd really like to know if how these work with Pmags, reliability when used pressure i.e. snap/rapid fire (10 shots in 60 seconds) and overall accuracy and handling when not on a bipod.

I may even consider giving this ago at CSR in favour of my AR15 for a season just to try .308 with a compact bolt action.

Anyone got any first hand experience with a 16" version?
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Mossberg MVP LR Tactical .308

#2 Post by Daryll »

I don't with the LR version, but I have the LC version... I'd guess the actions are very similar, just different stock, and the LC has (had!) an 18'' barrel.

I use P mags with no problems.. I bought a couple of spare 10 shot ones while in the US a few years ago.

If you do get one, check the chamber carefully... Mine was ok when I was working loads up, but once I'd decided on a (warmish) load, I started noticing raised rings around the fired brass... eventually had it inspected and there was a 0.5mm depressed ring around the chamber, half way around the body of the case.
Mossberg, their Worldwide Distributor and the Uk Distributor all got involved, but none of them would offer any help.. (to be fair it was out of warranty by then..) Mossberg said it was caused by swarfe on the chamber reamer, but it was within spec...!!
I eventually had it rebarrelled with a 24'' Sassen barrel.
leeroy7031
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

#3 Post by leeroy7031 »

Daryll wrote:I don't with the LR version, but I have the LC version... I'd guess the actions are very similar, just different stock, and the LC has (had!) an 18'' barrel.

I use P mags with no problems.. I bought a couple of spare 10 shot ones while in the US a few years ago.

If you do get one, check the chamber carefully... Mine was ok when I was working loads up, but once I'd decided on a (warmish) load, I started noticing raised rings around the fired brass... eventually had it inspected and there was a 0.5mm depressed ring around the chamber, half way around the body of the case.
Mossberg, their Worldwide Distributor and the Uk Distributor all got involved, but none of them would offer any help.. (to be fair it was out of warranty by then..) Mossberg said it was caused by swarfe on the chamber reamer, but it was within spec...!!
I eventually had it rebarrelled with a 24'' Sassen barrel.
Thanks for the comments and feedback on this Daryll. What did you find as good loads for this, did you have any luck with 147g ? I have a Ruger precision that doesn't seem to work well with anything less than a 155g for 1:10, ok if you re load which I do from time to time but for CSR and the like I was hoping to just use some milsurplus or standard GGG. I guess I could always opt for match ammo.
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#4 Post by Daryll »

I used GGG milsurp in the original barrel and that worked OK... but theoretically the 1:10 works best with 169 and up.

When i had it rebarrelled I specifically went with 1:12 for 147gn milsurp and 155gn bullets in reloads.
leeroy7031
Site Supporter 2021

#5 Post by leeroy7031 »

Daryll wrote:I used GGG milsurp in the original barrel and that worked OK... but theoretically the 1:10 works best with 169 and up.

When i had it rebarrelled I specifically went with 1:12 for 147gn milsurp and 155gn bullets in reloads.
The value proposition is looking much more attractive, thanks for your help and input here Daryll.