Grand Power K22 Light Striking

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

Grand Power K22 Light Striking

#1 Post by Zilberbak »

I have had my K22 from new for several years and never had an issue apart from a slide that was tight to put back on. However over the last few months it has began to light strike on an irregular basis as bad as every other round or every second or third round. Pulling the hammer back down manually after each light strike almost guarantees the round going off. I did put a red dot on it and at first l thought the T-bar adapter screw was fouling the firing pin channel with excess thread through the top of the slide and so filed the screw down and initially thought this had cured it as it fired a full mag off without problem. However it as gone back to light striking so l took the red dot and adapter off and if anything it was worse with every other round consistently not going off. I have cleaned it throughly and checked the operation manually. The only things have found is that the slide if let go gently leaves a little bit of movement say a mil going forward. I use Mini Mag and the secondary recoil spring is the one recommended for it, am l right in that the larger recoil spring is fined tuned by the smaller one for ammunition type i.e sub or HV?
Thoughts would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me potty.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Grand Power K22 Light Striking

#2 Post by dromia »

Have you given the chamber a good purge?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

After making sure its clean as above, I'd check to see if the firing pin is snapped.

Also next time you're shooting it get someone to watch it cycling/video it and see if its just the slide not going into battery properly. If it is you might need to replace the recoil spring(s).
DVC
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#4 Post by shugie »

My K22 did not care for Minimags, preferred SK match.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Individual
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Individual »

I've had some awful batches of mini-mag, where even multiple strikes in a bolt gun refuse to fire the damn things.
Won't touch the stuff now.

It could be your pistol, but def. worth trying some other HV ammo if you can.
Zilberbak

#6 Post by Zilberbak »

I have given everywhere a good scrub including the breech but might be worth doing again. The firing pin and spring looks fine as l have taken both out (that’s where l saw the extra threads poking in to the chamber). I have tried various ammo other than Mini Mag all having the same issue. Funnily enough l did video the problem and will have another good look at it. The hammer seems to have plenty of oomph so l don’t think the hammer spring is faulty.

Many thanks for the quick replies and any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
Zilberbak

BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

It's your hammer spring, had the same issue with one I bought 2nd hand off here.
Mark Derbyshire sorted it for me, he also tuned the trigger to make it single action only and turned it into a much better (LB) pistol to shoot.
Zilberbak

#8 Post by Zilberbak »

What was wrong with the spring? As the hammer is fairly smooth and when cocking doesn’t feel like there is an issue. Not disbelieving you but did you have the same symptoms?

Caledonian have gone quiet with Oto at Cotswold Classic Arms seemingly taking up the Grand Power mantle l should hopefully be able to pick up spares from him.

Thanks again for the replies.
Zilberbak

David24

#9 Post by David24 »

I had the same issue with my K22, as well as another club member, after multiple years and thousands of rounds downrange. I contacted Otto at Cotswold Classic Arms, with the suspicion mine was the hammer spring also, and he sent out a replacement spring, and as me being a new customer and without asking for payment first. The newer hammer spring is a revised part and it didn't take me long to fit, however if you are nearby he offered to fit it and test it for me before shipping it out. I will say that I had issues following the swap of the spring for 50rounds or so, however that was due to my overzealous cleaning (trying to remove some of the gritty feel of the trigger mechanism due to 22 ammo gunk) since I had never stripped it down that much before, a spray of oil in side and its worked fine for thousands of rounds again since. Also I am now able to fire some ammo I previously couldn't due to light strikes (from before the problem of light strikes became regular).
He also a trigger upgrade and magswell available for the K22.

Also to note I have a red dot fitted via the rear sight adapter T plate.
BamBam

#10 Post by BamBam »

Zilberbak wrote:What was wrong with the spring? As the hammer is fairly smooth and when cocking doesn’t feel like there is an issue. Not disbelieving you but did you have the same symptoms?

Caledonian have gone quiet with Oto at Cotswold Classic Arms seemingly taking up the Grand Power mantle l should hopefully be able to pick up spares from him.
The exact same, Scot from Caledonian sent me multiple recoil springs to sort the problem and nothing worked.
The hammer spring weakens, it's a common issue on the K22. Mine felt fine but I was assured a new spring would sort it, which it did.

Oto is the supplier of all the GP K22 go faster parts that CCA was selling before they went quiet. His flat trigger was what I had in my K22, but set up as a single action.