Kriss Defiance DMK22 Food

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

Re: Kriss Defiance DMK22 Food

#21 Post by Gh0st »

Most feedback on the Ti pins is they break, they seem to be too brittle and go in a certain spot. whether that's through poor design or manufacture I don't know. You just don't need them.

Having said that a firing pin is a consumable item in my world, I carry 2 spares always. check out the new Magload pins, have been running the proto for a while and it's been very consisitent
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
BLZeebub

#22 Post by BLZeebub »

Gh0st wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:55 am Most feedback on the Ti pins is they break, they seem to be too brittle and go in a certain spot. whether that's through poor design or manufacture I don't know. You just don't need them.

Having said that a firing pin is a consumable item in my world, I carry 2 spares always. check out the new Magload pins, have been running the proto for a while and it's been very consisitent
Ah, good to know, i did think about getting a spare but as the Kriss ones also had a bit of a rep and it looked like the Ti ones were no longer made i was wondering about options.

Cheers

B-)
Andy

#23 Post by Andy »

BLZeebub wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 am
Gh0st wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 am Kriss Defiance seems to come in for some consistent criticism from various people.

They don't seem to be very reliable in most cases. Latter versions seem to be better than earlier ones. Avoid titanium firing pins.

test ammo, find what works, buy lots of it and stick to it
Any reason to avoid the Ti pins? I broke my original and so far have been ok with the Ti replacement.

Cheers
Nat
Hi Nat,
My kriss was one of the early ones and suffered with the small parts breaking. It broke the extractor and the firing pin. I was given new ones at no cost to me.
After a while the extractor started to wear again so I replaced it with an m9 engineering one. Whilst I was in there I replaced the firing pin with the ti one. The old one was fine but I replaced it anyway.
So the ti pin has been in there for 3 maybe 4 years now and I've had no problems with it. Similarly the extractor is faultless and will pull a live round out of the chamber and fling it out , something the standard extractor struggled with.

So I don't know why someone would say don't use one.

Cheers,
Andy
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#24 Post by TattooedGun »

Andy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:17 pm
BLZeebub wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 am
Gh0st wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 am Kriss Defiance seems to come in for some consistent criticism from various people.

They don't seem to be very reliable in most cases. Latter versions seem to be better than earlier ones. Avoid titanium firing pins.

test ammo, find what works, buy lots of it and stick to it
Any reason to avoid the Ti pins? I broke my original and so far have been ok with the Ti replacement.

Cheers
Nat
Hi Nat,
My kriss was one of the early ones and suffered with the small parts breaking. It broke the extractor and the firing pin. I was given new ones at no cost to me.
After a while the extractor started to wear again so I replaced it with an m9 engineering one. Whilst I was in there I replaced the firing pin with the ti one. The old one was fine but I replaced it anyway.
So the ti pin has been in there for 3 maybe 4 years now and I've had no problems with it. Similarly the extractor is faultless and will pull a live round out of the chamber and fling it out , something the standard extractor struggled with.

So I don't know why someone would say don't use one.

Cheers,
Andy
Ti would be fine for the extractor, but Titanium is easily work hardened, and hitting it repeatedly against the hammer from your trigger, and then into the cartridge/breach face causes work hardening and eventually failure.

Whilst Titanium is renowned for its hardness, in the case of firing pins this hardness is less than ideal, the alloy used needs to be able to take the repeated hammerings without work hardening and becoming brittle as has been observed in these Titanium Firing pins. This is why people would say don't use one.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#25 Post by Gh0st »

As above, its just not the best material for it.

One thing to add is that it also depends how many rounds you’re doing? You may have a pin for 3/4 years but only cover a few thousand rounds. Where some of us do that in a couple of months or sooner depending on comps and training.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#26 Post by Thorney »

Its a funny thing the DMK, never have a seen a gun so talked about by people with only second hand experience of it that they take as gospel and then promote as fact.

We run a pair of DMK's as Experience Day guns so they get thousands of round through them, we run Geco Semi Auto, Titanium firing pins and they have been brilliant. I wont say faultless as there isnt a .22 that is that but on the basis that we charge people to shoot them they have to go bang, not click. We are actually in the process of swapping out our 15 x S&W 15.22 to the DMK's so read into that what you like ( we will keep a few S&W for lady shooters as they are lighter)

The downside on both of them is the mags, we use nearly 100 a year as they just wear out, in comparison we have worn out just 1 Vector mag and they are used about as much as the S&W's.

Ref ammo, try the Geco semi auto but clean the gun first before if you are using a waxed round such as Eley or CCI as the Gemo is an oiled round and mixes with the residue wax from others, a good clean, run 100 rounds through it and then measure, ie a bolted down gun not just your best tongue out aiming :) and you'll be impressed for accuracy up to 100m and in between.
BLZeebub

#27 Post by BLZeebub »

Thorney wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:53 pm Its a funny thing the DMK, never have a seen a gun so talked about by people with only second hand experience of it that they take as gospel and then promote as fact.

We run a pair of DMK's as Experience Day guns so they get thousands of round through them, we run Geco Semi Auto, Titanium firing pins and they have been brilliant. I wont say faultless as there isnt a .22 that is that but on the basis that we charge people to shoot them they have to go bang, not click. We are actually in the process of swapping out our 15 x S&W 15.22 to the DMK's so read into that what you like ( we will keep a few S&W for lady shooters as they are lighter)

The downside on both of them is the mags, we use nearly 100 a year as they just wear out, in comparison we have worn out just 1 Vector mag and they are used about as much as the S&W's.

Ref ammo, try the Geco semi auto but clean the gun first before if you are using a waxed round such as Eley or CCI as the Gemo is an oiled round and mixes with the residue wax from others, a good clean, run 100 rounds through it and then measure, ie a bolted down gun not just your best tongue out aiming :) and you'll be impressed for accuracy up to 100m and in between.
Good to know the Geco works on yours. I have some to test. Mine really doesn't like SK or RWS based on some testing but hopefully the Geco will.

Annoyingly, i use it a bit at the local indoor club and they like subsonics.

B-)
Fenix1

#28 Post by Fenix1 »

Just wondered how you are getting on with the Kriss, trying to make a decision on what .22 semi auto to get. Have been looking for a 15-22 but they seem hard to find in the MOE flavour.

Cheers

Jon
Andy

#29 Post by Andy »

Hi Jon
My kriss is still running perfect. excellent rifle.

Thanks,
Andy
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#30 Post by snayperskaya »

I recently acquired a Kriss and it came with two 15 round Kriss mags and I have purchased two 25 round Kriss mags but on taking to the range for the first time on Sunday it functioned flawlessly with the 15 rounders but if I loaded the 25 round mags to capacity it wouldn't feed properly.

I loaded them with 15 and things were perfect so I then loaded them with 20 and again it run like a top, it is almost like the extra five rounds puts too much tension on the mag spring.Anyone else had this problem and is there a remedy, other than just loading 20.I did wonder if shortening the spring slightly may help.I also have a couple of S&W mags with it but I must admit I like the look of the Kriss mags.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!