100 & 200 yds with pistol calibres (NRA Historics)

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

100 & 200 yds with pistol calibres (NRA Historics)

#1 Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

In hopes of better times ahead I am trying to plan this years shooting and what to enter.

So, having a reproduction 1892 in .44 mag I was planning on entering some of the historics and Bisley.

So, questions for you good and wise people:

1) Will I have to use 44 special cases for everything as the 44 mag came about after 1946 (even if the gun is in the spirit of the original)

2) What loads are people using to shoot the 100 and 200 yd events? Is it better to try and keep a bullet super sonic all the way to the target or accept it's best to go with a loopier trajectory and stay subsonic through out.

Best wishes,

Scrummy
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: 100 & 200 yds with pistol calibres (NRA Historics)

#2 Post by Mattnall »

All the rules and regulations are in the handbook.

https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/C ... ndbook.pdf
Your rifle can shoot in the Gallery Rifle matches, ammo is defined by MV and ME (Para 3.10 and 3.11.7), and in some cases by powder type though not relevant in your case I think.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

Having looked through the matches quickly it looks like the Bisley matches go to 100yds max. Your rifle will shoot in the 800 series of events and not the carbine events unfortunately.
I only shoot the shorter matches with my 44 and 357 Marlins so I might be missing something.

I would think sticking with the subsonic bullet would be better than trying to keep supersonic all the way or letting it go trans-sonic.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#4 Post by Jorden »

I am fairly certain that at the Trafalgar meeting at least, you only have to use .44 special loads not specifically 44 special cases, i.e. you can use your 44 mag cases to get decent feeding as long as you down load, at the Trafalgar you can use the same weapon from 25m up to 200m.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Weapon?

Who are you intending to do harm to bringing a weapon to the Trafalgar?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Scrumbag

#6 Post by Scrumbag »

Mattnall wrote:Having looked through the matches quickly it looks like the Bisley matches go to 100yds max. Your rifle will shoot in the 800 series of events and not the carbine events unfortunately.
I only shoot the shorter matches with my 44 and 357 Marlins so I might be missing something.

I would think sticking with the subsonic bullet would be better than trying to keep supersonic all the way or letting it go trans-sonic.
Hi Matt, so for the longer range stuff I was planning on entering the "Any pre-1946 Lever Centre Fire Repeater" category - realise not likely to be competitive, doing this more for the interest.

I have a hunting load with a 210gr Sierra JHC and H110 in 44 mag which (according to JBM) should be super sonic until 250yds.

Also have a 240gr load with Unique that should get there with enough elevation.

Scrummy
Scrumbag

#7 Post by Scrumbag »

Jorden wrote:I am fairly certain that at the Trafalgar meeting at least, you only have to use .44 special loads not specifically 44 special cases, i.e. you can use your 44 mag cases to get decent feeding as long as you down load, at the Trafalgar you can use the same weapon from 25m up to 200m.
Hi Jorden,

I think certainly for the running boar they would want 44 special cases to prevent a mix up and possibly letting off a 44 mag which exceeds the Muzzle Energy limits (1496 ftlbs)

I must admit my usual load for plinking is a 240gr cast RNFP and 6.5gr of Unique so is definitely in 44 SPC teritory. But, thems the rules.

Scrummy
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#8 Post by Jorden »

Dromia, did not mention "gun" in my original reply as the NRA do not seem to be very keen on "guns" (or anything else with a magazine for that matter)
Scrumbag, cannot find anything specifically in the regs about case length, the rules are very much slanted towards a firearm being in the spirit of the original, do not know what kind of mix up would happen, if someone was daft enough to put 44 mag loads into a 44 spec case I do not know how you would stop them (at least until the first shot went off)
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

Jorden wrote:Dromia, did not mention "gun" in my original reply as the NRA do not seem to be very keen on "guns" (or anything else with a magazine for that matter)
Scrumbag, cannot find anything specifically in the regs about case length, the rules are very much slanted towards a firearm being in the spirit of the original, do not know what kind of mix up would happen, if someone was daft enough to put 44 mag loads into a 44 spec case I do not know how you would stop them (at least until the first shot went off)
unless you shoot AOLQ then you do not own weapons, and that is why some people get annoyed by the term being bandied around. I own Firearms. I do not own weapons. I also own rifle, pistols and carbines, but those are all types of firearm.

If you were to load 44spl to high end 44mag levels and then shoot them in a 44spl gun, you may be in for a very bad time. As for what stops people doing it? training and education mainly. If you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't be reloading.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

A weapon is an item that is intended to use to harm.

Possessing firearms is not an option for us, correctly so. Therefore legally owned firearm cannot be weapons unless someone chooses to break the law and harm someone with a legally own firearm then that firearm was used as a weapon in that particular case.

As civilian gun owners and shooters we should not use that term as it just reinforces the anti agenda that it is inanimate objects that do harm rather than the person using them.

The police persist in calling firearms legally owned as weapons just as the say firearms are licensed when in fact the owner is certified as fit to possess, it even says "Cerfificate" on the certificate, but don't let that get in the way of demonising guns.

The NRA is up it own arsehole in everything and doing anything to fit whatever their current agenda may be is bound to be bad for legal firearms ownership and shooters.

We need to think about what we say as just taking for granted "Firearms license" and "weapon" for example is just playing into the anti's hands and hurrying forward the giving up the little we are left with gun ownership and shooting wise.

A gun is a gun is a gun just as a vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle! We should not be ashamed of what we do as it does no harm, is completely legal and provides much pleasure and personal reward to those that pursue it. The more we hide and the more we acquiesce to the social media flavour of the hour the more we loose our standing and the ability to legally use and acquire firearms.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/