Badger cull to end 2022

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Badger cull to end 2022

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I see the Badger cull is to end 2022. Now you could argue that if we can vaccinate our population of 66 ish million then the 20 odd million cattle here should be a walk in the park and the stripy things can carry on regardless, acting as traffic calming devices and eating red listed ground nesting birds eggs and young or whatever they do.

Alternatively they could be popped on the general licence and possibly kept in check although the Fox population does seem to be growing at a reasonable rate despite the countries gamekeepers doing their best.

For the record I very much doubt I would shoot one even if they were on a GL.

Thoughts anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Re: Badger cull to end 2022

#2 Post by daman »

I live in a London suburb, so won't be shooting the local wildlife. That said, on my 1-hour government allowed walk a few nights ago I counted five foxes and two badgers... it's too late they're completely urbanized.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

Well, if you will build your houses on our roof!
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

How do you scare the badgers enough to queue up for a vaccine with no long term testing though ;) lol

If something is a pest and is legal to shoot I have few issues, if its tasty and legal to shoot I have no qualms, if its a pest and tasty to eat and is legal to shoot it ain't leaving the field! lol
DVC
Dorset_shooter
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Dorset_shooter »

I’m sure they will be stood in line next to the gray squirrels waiting for their birth control.!!!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

The badger has shown it can thrive with protection, but it still concerns me that certain "cultures" consider it to be a suitable species for pitting canines against. Putting the badger on the general licence wouldn't result in management, but almost an invitation to some.

Some sort of "half-way house" is needed. Not GL, but not fully protected.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have not heard of a case of baiting in ages and the first link I found suggested:
In 2018, 675 reports of badger incidents were linked to crime and intelligence, compared to 598 in 2019.
So it is still happening. I do follow the results of Op Galileo however that is coursing/poaching. No reference to baiting.

Do the people carrying out acts of baiting even hold FACs or SGCs, or give a toss about the GL? I have been out lamping after dark with keepers and if we did spot a Badger lumbering across a pasture we ignored it. Especially so if we were rabbiting with dogs, we just found another place. BTW, a good night would be 4-5 rabbits with a dog, 10 fold this with a rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

I am certain they do not give a toss about anything, utter scum, taken out the back I say.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#9 Post by kennyc »

Sim G wrote:The badger has shown it can thrive with protection, but it still concerns me that certain "cultures" consider it to be a suitable species for pitting canines against. Putting the badger on the general licence wouldn't result in management, but almost an invitation to some.

Some sort of "half-way house" is needed. Not GL, but not fully protected.
putting badgers on the general licence will in no way remove their protection from baiting, it would allow numbers to be controlled locally according to the conditions, in the same way we control fox,deer and rabbit numbers , control being the operative word not eradication
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

If the Fox is anything to go on, Badger numbers would probably not go down significantly if they were controlled under GL.
/d

Shed Journal