Straight pull rifles that aren't AR15 or AK variants

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Straight pull rifles that aren't AR15 or AK variants

#11 Post by bnz41 »

M14 7.62 Nato SKS 7.62x39
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#12 Post by snayperskaya »

Also the FG-42 and STG-44 if you have a big budget........
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
David TS
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#13 Post by David TS »

Daryll wrote:I've got an AUG, and had an L1A1.

The AUG was 2nd hand (could even be Kenny's!), and the L1A1 was a POS that I was never happy with, and it turned out to have been made by a dodgy gunsmith.. I got rid of it sharpish..

I love my AUG... :D

Having a straight pull L1A1 myself, I suspect the dodgy gunsmith was in Norfolk, or if not one in Suffolk (no names mentioned, natch ;) )
Chapuis

#14 Post by Chapuis »

CrumpCP wrote:Im interested in what Straight pull Rifles are out there in the UK that aren't AR15s or AK variants. It would be great to see what you shoot if you do have one.
Just to add to the list-

Merkel Helix
Browning Maral
Heym SR30
Ruger mini 14

I've shot the Ruger and the Heym but don't own either. The Ruger was not a patch on the original semi-auto mini 14 that I once owned. The SR30 on the other hand is a quality rifle just as you would expect from Heym. A friend has a couple of Merkel Helix rifles and I am most impressed with them. I've handled the Browning Maral and without doubt they are probably the fastest straight pull actions that you can get but it just didn't feel right to me.
Chapuis

#15 Post by Chapuis »

Another straight pull that I've just remembered and have handled but not shot -Lynx.
A solid rifle with a good reputation from Scandinavia. A bit like a scaled up Anschutz biathlon.
Blackstuff

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

I had an AUG and regret selling it now i've had my MARS taken from me. If they weren't stupid money (when they first came out they were £1200, then Sportsmans Gun Centre had them on for £800 for a year) i'd likely be getting one, but now they're back to their ridiculous £1600+ price. I even saw some chancer on Guntrader wanting £2000 for one thats been 'fully upgraded' - bearing in mind the only things you can really do to them are installing a trigger lightening device (a piece of derilin) - £60, removing the front grip and putting a picatinny rail on - £50-60 and reinstating the quick release barrel feature (which is fun but completely unnecessary on a straight pull - £150 teanews
DVC
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#17 Post by Mattnall »

Blaser do one and there are some SR25/AR10 variants about.
There are many straight-pulls available, take your pick.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
poll007
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#18 Post by poll007 »

I personally own 3 straight pull rifles
-Swiss K31- great milsurp rifle and very accurate (7.5x55 ammo can be tad expensive)
-Ruger Mini-14 in .223 nice and lightweight and great for plinking.
-Bushmaster M17s bullpup which i recently got (only had it out on the range once). seems pretty good and takes GI AR mags which are fairly cheap to get. (think of it as a poor mans AUG).

I've also shot the VZ58s which are fun (great if you want something that isnt an AK but everyone will think is an AK)

Depending on budget and what you want it for there are a whole list of guns from military surplus to modern hunting rifles as well as plenty of semi auto conversions to take a look at.
Chapuis

#19 Post by Chapuis »

Chapuis wrote:Another straight pull that I've just remembered and have handled but not shot -Lynx.
A solid rifle with a good reputation from Scandinavia. A bit like a scaled up Anschutz biathlon.
It must be old age or simply forgetfulness because how could I have forgotten the Chapuis ROLS or the Strasser rifles, both direct competitors of the Blaser. (Actually both better rifles in my opinion.)
Sfwh

#20 Post by Sfwh »

bnz41 wrote:M14 7.62 Nato SKS 7.62x39
I was looking for an M14 and I know someone who was interested in an SKS. Where did you get yours? I know Valmont is selling M14's but I believe he only has the Israeli ones in polymer stocks which I'm not a huge fan of.