Straight pull rifles that aren't AR15 or AK variants

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Straight pull rifles that aren't AR15 or AK variants

#21 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote:Also the FG-42 and STG-44 if you have a big budget........
Indeed.....lots of $$$$$ especially the FG-42's!

A couple of years ago, on the 300m range on Century at Bisley, in the next lane to us, was a couple of guys, one had a Garand, the other had one of those SSD MP44 in 7.92 Kurz.......it looked a lovely piece of kit, but at £5k odd...... :o
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#22 Post by BestDrugDoc »

+1 for Bushmaster M17s bullpup
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#23 Post by bnz41 »

Sfwh wrote:
bnz41 wrote:M14 7.62 Nato SKS 7.62x39
I was looking for an M14 and I know someone who was interested in an SKS. Where did you get yours? I know Valmont is selling M14's but I believe he only has the Israeli ones in polymer stocks which I'm not a huge fan of.
The M14 came from Suffolk Rifles no longer trading sadly I sold it some time ago. The SKS I have 2 of them, the first one I bought came from a fellow FB member who has a thing for all things Russian :wave: the second one is a Valmont import, both are Tula made.

Not sure where you would get either rifle now no one seems to import them now.

DavidTS, the badly made or put together L1A1's came from the Norfolk dealer, I had one it shot way over to the right had a refund and bought one from Suffolk Rifles it shot perfectly.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#24 Post by Daryll »

David TS wrote:
Daryll wrote:I've got an AUG, and had an L1A1.

The AUG was 2nd hand (could even be Kenny's!), and the L1A1 was a POS that I was never happy with, and it turned out to have been made by a dodgy gunsmith.. I got rid of it sharpish..

I love my AUG... :D

Having a straight pull L1A1 myself, I suspect the dodgy gunsmith was in Norfolk, or if not one in Suffolk (no names mentioned, natch ;) )
Yes, I think he was from Norfolk... ;) He made them not only in 7.62x51, but .22.250 and .243 I think...
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#25 Post by snayperskaya »

bnz41 wrote:
The M14 came from Suffolk Rifles no longer trading sadly I sold it some time ago. The SKS I have 2 of them, the first one I bought came from a fellow FB member who has a thing for all things Russian :wave: the second one is a Valmont import, both are Tula made.
:wave:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sfwh

#26 Post by Sfwh »

CrumpCP wrote:Im interested in what Straight pull Rifles are out there in the UK that aren't AR15s or AK variants. It would be great to see what you shoot if you do have one.
Valmont seems to advertise a few. I saw a MAS-49 on there at one point but it's not on there now. Oakrise also used to advertise an SVT-40 but again that's not there any more. I don't know if anyone has seen either of those in the wild?
CrumpCP

#27 Post by CrumpCP »

I already own a MkIII Ross and have used the Swiss straight pulls many times. I was more interested in those that were based off semi auto rifles. I had ordered a mas-49 but there were a lot of delays and uncertainty on if it would ever go ahead to I cancelled my order.
I’ve heard about the SKS straight pulls but have never seen one in the flesh or for sale.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#28 Post by snayperskaya »

Sfwh wrote:
CrumpCP wrote:Im interested in what Straight pull Rifles are out there in the UK that aren't AR15s or AK variants. It would be great to see what you shoot if you do have one.
Valmont seems to advertise a few. I saw a MAS-49 on there at one point but it's not on there now. Oakrise also used to advertise an SVT-40 but again that's not there any more. I don't know if anyone has seen either of those in the wild?
The SVT’s were going to be done by LDT in Luxembourg, same as the SKS carbines, and the last thing I heard was there was problems overcoming hard extraction on the SVT as they have a fluted chamber.The fluted chamber isn’t a problem on a gas operated semi auto but it is on a straight pull, it also makes a mess of brass cases apparently.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#29 Post by kennyc »

snayperskaya wrote:
Sfwh wrote:
The SVT’s were going to be done by LDT in Luxembourg, same as the SKS carbines, and the last thing I heard was there was problems overcoming hard extraction on the SVT as they have a fluted chamber.The fluted chamber isn’t a problem on a gas operated semi auto but it is on a straight pull, it also makes a mess of brass cases apparently.
I dont know about the SVT's I have only fired them in semi auto, and to be honest never looked at the brass, but the STGw57's have a fluted chamber to allow the gas to "float" the cartridge case out out to aid extraction ,there is an annular ring cut in the chamber to force the brass into to slow the bolt cycle down due to the fact that it is a blowback action and that bulge in the case is very noticeable in the brass afterwards, and I would expect it would make manual extraction something of a "mortar drill"
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#30 Post by snayperskaya »

kennyc wrote:
I dont know about the SVT's I have only fired them in semi auto, and to be honest never looked at the brass, but the STGw57's have a fluted chamber to allow the gas to "float" the cartridge case out out to aid extraction ,there is an annular ring cut in the chamber to force the brass into to slow the bolt cycle down due to the fact that it is a blowback action and that bulge in the case is very noticeable in the brass afterwards, and I would expect it would make manual extraction something of a "mortar drill"

Top three cases were fired in a SVT, the flutes are quite clear......
8CB48F5B-125A-4A9C-8EDE-A550CE0EF0EE.jpeg
8CB48F5B-125A-4A9C-8EDE-A550CE0EF0EE.jpeg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 1425 times