Straight pull rifles that aren't AR15 or AK variants

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Straight pull rifles that aren't AR15 or AK variants

#31 Post by bnz41 »

Sfwh wrote:
CrumpCP wrote:Im interested in what Straight pull Rifles are out there in the UK that aren't AR15s or AK variants. It would be great to see what you shoot if you do have one.
Valmont seems to advertise a few. I saw a MAS-49 on there at one point but it's not on there now. Oakrise also used to advertise an SVT-40 but again that's not there any more. I don't know if anyone has seen either of those in the wild?
It was not Oakrise that were doing the SVT-40's it was a RFD in Norfolk no longer trading, I bought one but they were pulled from sale before I could collect it seems they were not fully Sec1.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#32 Post by snayperskaya »

bnz41 wrote:
Sfwh wrote:
CrumpCP wrote:Im interested in what Straight pull Rifles are out there in the UK that aren't AR15s or AK variants. It would be great to see what you shoot if you do have one.
Valmont seems to advertise a few. I saw a MAS-49 on there at one point but it's not on there now. Oakrise also used to advertise an SVT-40 but again that's not there any more. I don't know if anyone has seen either of those in the wild?
It was not Oakrise that were doing the SVT-40's it was a RFD in Norfolk no longer trading, I bought one but they were pulled from sale before I could collect it seems they were not fully Sec1.
Wasn’t it AR Buckland that was doing the less than legal SVT’s at one time.LDT were working on a straight pull version but as I said there was extraction issues and I believe they may have dropped the idea.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sfwh

#33 Post by Sfwh »

snayperskaya wrote:
The SVT’s were going to be done by LDT in Luxembourg, same as the SKS carbines, and the last thing I heard was there was problems overcoming hard extraction on the SVT as they have a fluted chamber.The fluted chamber isn’t a problem on a gas operated semi auto but it is on a straight pull, it also makes a mess of brass cases apparently.
I had a friend who had a lot of issues with his straight-pull VZ-58. Seems that most of the non-rotating bolt designs have problems with extraction. Does anyone have these problems with their SKS's, STG-44's or SLR's?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#34 Post by kennyc »

snayperskaya wrote:
kennyc wrote:
I dont know about the SVT's I have only fired them in semi auto, and to be honest never looked at the brass, but the STGw57's have a fluted chamber to allow the gas to "float" the cartridge case out out to aid extraction ,there is an annular ring cut in the chamber to force the brass into to slow the bolt cycle down due to the fact that it is a blowback action and that bulge in the case is very noticeable in the brass afterwards, and I would expect it would make manual extraction something of a "mortar drill"

Top three cases were fired in a SVT, the flutes are quite clear......
8CB48F5B-125A-4A9C-8EDE-A550CE0EF0EE.jpeg
thanks, found this pic online that demonstrates what I am talking about
howa1500

#35 Post by howa1500 »

Steyr Aug; the surplus ammo cases get stuck in the chamber of mine. Will probably need to home load, unless anyone can help?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#36 Post by snayperskaya »

howa1500 wrote:Steyr Aug; the surplus ammo cases get stuck in the chamber of mine. Will probably need to home load, unless anyone can help?
It’s because the rifles so ugly the cases dont want to be seen coming out of it!!! :p
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#37 Post by Daryll »

snayperskaya wrote:
howa1500 wrote:Steyr Aug; the surplus ammo cases get stuck in the chamber of mine. Will probably need to home load, unless anyone can help?
It’s because the rifles so ugly the cases dont want to be seen coming out of it!!! :p
Thats the love of my life you're talking about Comrade!! ****

Howa, I've never had a problem with mine with milsurp ammo, although nowadays I only use homeloads...
kennyc

#38 Post by kennyc »

clean the chamber, I never had a problem, except once in a monsoon at WMS when a round stuck in the chamber (probably because it was soaked going in) and with the design of the AUG it took a few seconds to break the rifle down and clear the blockage.
other than that it ate 1000s of milsurp, and cheap Russian ammo (Wolf) without complaint.
kennyc

#39 Post by kennyc »

snayperskaya wrote:
its so ugly its a thing of beauty lollol
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#40 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote:
lol lol