Sa80 straight pull ?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Sa80 straight pull ?

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

bradaz11 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:Tovarisch Kalashnikov was apparently less than impressed when got the opportunity to try out a L85......
where did you find that pic? and you got anymore or details?
Photo I found floating around on the ‘net.I don’t know the exact date but Mikhail Kalashnikov visited Britain in the 90’s,he was taken on a visit to the Royal Ordnance factory in Nottingham, and shown the SA80.Apparently after shooting it he looked at it for a while, and finally said: "You must have some very clever soldiers."

He also met Eugene Stoner on his first trip to the USA in 1990......
C33DB625-96D1-4929-AF3E-12829E53A6E9.jpeg
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
RJ156

#12 Post by RJ156 »

Charlotte the flyer wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:14 pm
particularly as spares are pretty non existent.
What spares in particular?
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#13 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Anything really to keep the old girl running. A1 rifles were well known for breaking - we used to break at least one or more at the range when I was a kid (mainly cocking handles as I recall) so I try to treat mine with kid gloves and not use it very often. The cheek piece seems to have started breaking up but other than that it's still working.

I am after a scope riser for an ACOG for it, these seem to be unobtanium to civvies as far as I can see. I _might_ try an Elcan on it instead if I can get one for the right price.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
DL.

#14 Post by DL. »

You might be able to get some SA80 bits from D&B, might be worth giving them a call if there's anything slightly rare that you are after.

https://www.dandbmilitaria.com/sa80-rub ... peice-e5-a
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#15 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Thanks DL, That's exactly the piece that's broken up on mine.

Charlotte
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
RJ156

#16 Post by RJ156 »

DL. wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 pm You might be able to get some SA80 bits from D&B, might be worth giving them a call if there's anything slightly rare that you are after.

https://www.dandbmilitaria.com/sa80-rub ... peice-e5-a
How much!!!!

Jesus.
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#17 Post by jmc67 »

Wow, this thread brings back some memories. I was an Army cadet in 1986. We started the year learning how to use a Lee Enfield 303 and then half way through the year we were introduced to the SA80 (I presume the cadet version, but don't remember it that well). I do remember thinking how plasticy it was after using the 303. There was a lot of 'hold it like this' and 'don't put your fingers there' with the briefing. Must admit though, I'd be interested to fire one again after all these years if the opportunity ever came about.
James84

#18 Post by James84 »

this really brings back memories... I remember being on the barrack range at RAF Waddington with one of these. I was on the farthest firing point and the rifle was laid in the sun on a black mat. It was absolutely boiling hot and it kept jamming. The RCO came over screaming at the two of us because "we kept riding the bolt forward" which was making it jam. He stood there and watched us fire it and I made the point of racking it back and totally releasing the handle to let the bolt slam forward totally under its own steam and surprise surprise, train wreck.

He got down and said "you're doing it wrong, watch THIS and LEARN". He got down, magazine in, cocked it, jam. He tried several more times and to everyones amusement, the pin snapped that held the rod into the cocking handle and it just slid around. He stood up and shouted at us "LOOK YOU'VE BROKEN IT". If I remember correctly, it was put back together with a paperclip and handed back to the armoury :D

The L98A2 came out about 5 years after I left the Cadets, by which point I was using the L85A2 anyway but to have had the L98A2 as a Cadet would've made shooting a much more enjoyable experience.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#19 Post by David TS »

snayperskaya wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm Tovarisch Kalashnikov was apparently less than impressed when got the opportunity to try out a L85......

339E87A0-6A44-4F11-8328-ECAFA02D9D0B.jpeg

I'm less than impressed with Tovarisch Kalashnikov's trigger discipline, gun pointing down range or not lol
Chapuis

#20 Post by Chapuis »

David TS wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:11 pm
snayperskaya wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm Tovarisch Kalashnikov was apparently less than impressed when got the opportunity to try out a L85......

339E87A0-6A44-4F11-8328-ECAFA02D9D0B.jpeg

I'm less than impressed with Tovarisch Kalashnikov's trigger discipline, gun pointing down range or not lol
I wouldn't worry he's probably already pulled the trigger and then lifted his head when the poxy heap of junk failed once again. lol