New to the forum? Tell us who you are.

Moderator: dromia

Rotnguns
Home club or Range: Parma Gun Club, Parma, Idaho , USA

Re: Hello from Idaho, USA

#11 Post by Rotnguns »

Scrumbag wrote:
Rotnguns wrote:Thanks Scrummy!

Indeed, this part of the US has great outdoor opportunities. I'll have to check out Randy Newberg's series and see what he's said about us!

I'm gearing up for Spring bear and turkey season here (starts April 15 in this locale). Due to COVID, outdoor rec is booming and hunting pressure near the inhabited areas of our state has reached new levels. That being said, if you get two ridges away from a road here, you may as well be in Alaska!

If you ever get out this way, shoot me a message and we will find you a bear! There are way too many here because so few hunt them. Same with mountain lions and wolves.
That would be a dream! Do you use hounds, bait or stalk?

Scrummy

PS "Bell-Target" isn't that what the NVA called Hueys? :P
Scrummy, Idaho is one of the few states that allows all three types of hunting. I've never done any hunting other than stalking and from blinds. My bear-hunting friends that use bait start putting out bait and game cameras in various areas before the season starts, thus locating a bruin with a nice coat. For mountain lions, dogs are the only way to go. I usually get a bear tag along with deer and elk but have never hunted bear exclusively. It seems I always see them when I don't have a tag. I'm retiring next month so hopefully the extra time I devote to hunting the wily bruin will pay off!

Thanks for the welcome and the information about bell-target shooting clubs, 1066! I did some further exploration and found this great website that you are likely familiar with:

http://www.belltarget.com/history.php

Frank Spittle's historical perspective, linked on the site as a pdf, is most amazing to me. Sounds like there were leagues and contests everywhere, even in pubs, at ranges from 6 to 100 yards. There's quite an interest in air-rifles here too, and metallic silhouette divisions just for them are appearing.
Southwest Idaho, USA
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

I live in a small more northern than southern village with about 700 people. Back around 1900 there were more people living here, the farms attracted the workers.

Back then this village had their own club and shooting range. I so wish that was still the case.

EDIT

Picture attached of the range opening day taken down on the village square. No idea who took the picture.
Attachments
Opening of Binbrook range.jpg
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#13 Post by Scrumbag »

Rotnguns wrote:
Scrummy, Idaho is one of the few states that allows all three types of hunting. I've never done any hunting other than stalking and from blinds. My bear-hunting friends that use bait start putting out bait and game cameras in various areas before the season starts, thus locating a bruin with a nice coat. For mountain lions, dogs are the only way to go. I usually get a bear tag along with deer and elk but have never hunted bear exclusively. It seems I always see them when I don't have a tag. I'm retiring next month so hopefully the extra time I devote to hunting the wily bruin will pay off!

Great stuff my friend, very nice to have the freedom to hiunt them the way you choose.

I am now wondering how difficult it is to get non-resident tags in Idaho.

Scrummy
stottycake
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Tcsc,.gardners guns,

#14 Post by stottycake »

Welcome,
Rotnguns

#15 Post by Rotnguns »

Scrumbag wrote:
Rotnguns wrote:

Great stuff my friend, very nice to have the freedom to hiunt them the way you choose.

I am now wondering how difficult it is to get non-resident tags in Idaho.

Scrummy
Hi Scrummy,

I don't know much about the nonresident application process, but I've heard that demand is particularly high for out of state elk tags. I think for other critters, it's pretty reasonable. Here's a link to the Idaho Fish and Game website with updated information regarding licenses and tags:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/big-game

And here's a link to a very interesting hunting forum called the Rokslide forum. Lots of comments and hunt reports, mostly from the western US. If you search on Idaho, many threads will come up:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/

These guys on rokslide are generally a good bunch, but they can get bristly if they think you are mining them for their favorite hunting locales. They've got lots of interesting hunt reports and such.

Scrummy, this important information regarding nonresident hunts in Idaho slipped my mind and I missed the edit window:

Idaho allocates many nonresident tags for big game to professional guide services in our state. Lots of nonresident hunters book their hunts in advance with the guide services, who pretty much take care of everything. I've never done it, but accounts and reviews of guides and outfitters can be found on the rokslide forum. I looked it over and it appears that members are generally forthcoming about their experiences with certain guides.

This may be the best way to go for a nonresident, especially for our friends across the ocean!
Southwest Idaho, USA
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#16 Post by Scrumbag »

Thanks my friend!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#17 Post by Mattnall »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Rotnguns

#18 Post by Rotnguns »

Christel wrote:I live in a small more northern than southern village with about 700 people. Back around 1900 there were more people living here, the farms attracted the workers.

Back then this village had their own club and shooting range. I so wish that was still the case.

EDIT

Picture attached of the range opening day taken down on the village square. No idea who took the picture.
Now, that's how to open a shooting range! I really enjoyed living in a small town as well, but wife and I moved to the "big city" if you can call Boise such a thing (about 210 000). I miss the chickens and other critters, but not the breaking ice in the troughs at 4 am in the winter!
Southwest Idaho, USA
etonwick
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#19 Post by etonwick »

Rotnguns wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:42 pm Hi everyone, I'm a new member from Idaho in NW USA.

I've enjoyed reading about your fascinating shooting events and the hunting culture in the UK and in Europe. What a great shooting tradition you have! I've been researching the Whitworth rifle as well as your mad- minute challenge with great interest. I'm in a bullseye shooting league and I will be branching out to NRA (American version) Silhouette this spring. Unfortunately, many of our events, particularly the ones held indoors, have been suspended over the past year due to COVID.

I look forward to chatting with you all!
Hey Rotnguns, how's life in Idaho?

Great to hear from one of our proud Colonial Cousins from across the pond. The US shooting and hunting culture is equally rich and historic and of great interest to us here in the UK. I'll keep an eye out for you in the forum.

Stay healthy Cousin.
Cheers

etonwick

"A buck in books saves a grand in stupid!" - Mark Novak, Gunsmith.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#20 Post by Geek »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S