Using Own Targets at Bisley

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Sfwh

Using Own Targets at Bisley

#1 Post by Sfwh »

Does anyone have much experience in getting their own targets approved by the NRA? I'm only talking about paper, not steel or anything. I assume the NRA's objection would be if it was an offensive target or a picture of a person or something. Just wondering if anyone knows what is ok or not?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Using Own Targets at Bisley

#2 Post by Dark Skies »

In the past, admittedly only on Short Siberia, I've stuck up those Shoot N See eight inch targets so I can see the hits with binoculars instead of using a marker. I've never had any issues. I've just stuck them up over the usual Face target - I've not asked for permission. Just put them up.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#3 Post by shugie »

Dark Skies wrote:In the past, admittedly only on Short Siberia, I've stuck up those Shoot N See eight inch targets so I can see the hits with binoculars instead of using a marker. I've never had any issues. I've just stuck them up over the usual Face target - I've not asked for permission. Just put them up.
Same here, and then one club I shoot with regularly has animal targets, deer, fox and probably something else too small to see with the naked eye. And I've seen quite odd mixtures of shoot and sees, another club often has three shooters on three targets on the same board. Never heard the NRA staff comment. In fact I think I've seen a charging terrorist target once.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Sfwh

#4 Post by Sfwh »

Ok, thanks I was wanting to use anything controversial. Just some of the really old figure targets from back in the old days.
rox

#5 Post by rox »

Sfwh wrote:Does anyone have much experience in getting their own targets approved by the NRA? I'm only talking about paper, not steel or anything. I assume the NRA's objection would be if it was an offensive target or a picture of a person or something. Just wondering if anyone knows what is ok or not?
I believe you can request a blank face (no aiming mark), which suggests there's no issue with affixing your own.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

shugie wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:In the past, admittedly only on Short Siberia, I've stuck up those Shoot N See eight inch targets so I can see the hits with binoculars instead of using a marker. I've never had any issues. I've just stuck them up over the usual Face target - I've not asked for permission. Just put them up.
Same here, and then one club I shoot with regularly has animal targets, deer, fox and probably something else too small to see with the naked eye. And I've seen quite odd mixtures of shoot and sees, another club often has three shooters on three targets on the same board. Never heard the NRA staff comment. In fact I think I've seen a charging terrorist target once.
we regularly have 3 shooters on one target, never had a problem
morph007
Home club or Range: Kentucky Firearms club

#7 Post by morph007 »

Like others I've never had a problem using my own targets. Just ask for a blank backing board when you fill in the range hire request.
If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by Pete »

Just indicate what you want to do on the booking form.......we've done this at 300yds using both grouping target patterns and a home drawn pattern with 1/2 MOA spaced rings, printed on an A4 sheet.
After drawing straws, the loser sashays round and sticks them up. You can get 12 A4's on the 300yd target frame.
With a decent spotting scope (60x), you can see where they're going, even from a 223.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#9 Post by shugie »

Thinking back I made, and still have, a satanic Santa target for our club Christmas competition shoot, presented on a stick above the mantlet on Short Siberia. Some amusement at the glowing red eyes was heard on adjacent firing points, but not a peep from any NRA staff.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Sfwh

#10 Post by Sfwh »

I didn't know you could just ask for a blank face. That's encouraging thank you all. If satanic Santa is ok I'm sure most things are.