Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

#11 Post by bnz41 »

What is a Russian Capture K98k?

A German rifle captured by the Russians. The X mark is what the Russians stamped on captured rifles.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#12 Post by GeeRam »

mikygpu wrote:
GeeRam wrote:Only one photo is showing for me, but its enough to show that its a Russian Capture K98k.
Give it time, it will load up all pictures :-)
What is a Russian Capture K98k?
You need to attach *.jpg files, which you have done only once, all the rest are *.tiff files that's why they are not appearing.

Russian Capture, or strictly more correct, Soviet Capture means the the rifle was captured by Soviet Forces, and went through their depot rework system in the early 1950's before being put into storage. This is denoted by the 'X' marking shown on the left side of the receiver in the only photo showing up.
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#13 Post by mikygpu »

Pictures modified and reloaded
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#14 Post by mikygpu »

No matter what I do, this is the message I get from all jpg files I try to load.
Attachments
The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010. • Information.pdf
(59.65 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
GeeRam

#15 Post by GeeRam »

Not an original sniper rifle, and no markings that would indicate a SS depot build either.

It's not what you think it is. I suspect the receiver was drilled for a scope mount in its more recent history.
mikygpu

#16 Post by mikygpu »

GeeRam wrote:Not an original sniper rifle, and no markings that would indicate a SS depot build either.

It's not what you think it is. I suspect the receiver was drilled for a scope mount in its more recent history.
Well, that's fine. It is still a K98 made in 1940 and with the German Eagle with svastica.

I'll source scope mounts to match the holes and mount a scope. It shoots well as plain K98 too, and even better with reloads.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
DanTheMan
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#17 Post by DanTheMan »

mikygpu wrote: I'll source scope mounts to match the holes and mount a scope. It shoots well as plain K98 too, and even better with reloads.
Before you do that, be careful as the recoil lugs position (crossbolt) in your one and only pic shows that there is failed wood just behind the recoil lug so all the recoil force is now on the wrist. It will likely crack the butt stock shortly if it's not already done so. D&B have a load of spare stocks, or maybe you can get yours repaired before it totally destroys itself. It's V common - my K98 is on it's third stock, found it was cheaper to buy a deact and swap stocks.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

mikygpu wrote:No matter what I do, this is the message I get from all jpg files I try to load.
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that you are trying to upload tiff files not jpegs as is shown in your failed posts.

The only one that is visible is indeed a jpeg file.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper?

#19 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Late war K98 rifles were often assembled with various omissions as the wars end became inevitable.
No Bayonet lug, no cleaning rod, various types of front band, wooden screws, no bolt take down discs all due to attempts too speed up production and a severe lack of resources, the situation became dire as last ditch rifles became ever more drastic in manufacture techniques.
GeeRam

#20 Post by GeeRam »

DanTheMan wrote:
mikygpu wrote: I'll source scope mounts to match the holes and mount a scope. It shoots well as plain K98 too, and even better with reloads.
Before you do that, be careful as the recoil lugs position (crossbolt) in your one and only pic shows that there is failed wood just behind the recoil lug so all the recoil force is now on the wrist. It will likely crack the butt stock shortly if it's not already done so. D&B have a load of spare stocks, or maybe you can get yours repaired before it totally destroys itself. It's V common - my K98 is on it's third stock, found it was cheaper to buy a deact and swap stocks.
^This.

Which is strange, as the Soviet's usually replaced the stocks when they went through their post war arsenal rebuilds, so it may have had a hard life since being sold out of Soviet storage, or was one of the many gifted to former Soviet Bloc friendly countries as aid in the 60's and 70's, hence having had a hard life since...?