How many of you are still working from home

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

How many of you are still working from home

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I just wondered how many of our members have worked from home during this difficult time and how you or the Company you work for have helped. Not helped. Do you think working from home for some people will become the norm if this disease ever goes away. How as working from home changed your life or your thinking your working life style is likely to change because of it.
I would of done a poll if I knew how to.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

Re: How many of you are still working from home

#2 Post by strangesam »

I've been doing some work from home, some in the lab.

I cant do everything at home (machine maintenance, running the 3D Printers, CNC mill, assembly etc). But I have been doing the paperwork, ordering, CAD/CAM at home as much as I can.

Partially due to the COVID restrictions put in place by the University, partly as I'm still broken more than a year after catching the disease. Walking, breaks me, so does the effort to cook dinner or have a shower. I can do 2-3 days worth of my old normal activity spread out over the week. So work is taking a lot of my time and effort.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

I've been working (Computer Sys Admin) from home for the last year.... I was actually on Jury Service for the first week, then by the time they didn't need me, my Co. had said if you can work from home, do so..

I have a Co. laptop, a VPN on to the network, and can do 99% of what I need to remotely. During the last year I've been on-site 5 times, to fix periferal equipment..
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

I have been working from home for the whole time now, have been told that we won't be going back to any kind of office work until the late Summer/Autumn and when we do it will be on a 2-3 day office 2-3 day home working regime. I only leave the house at the moment for work purposes to carry out essential site visits where photos/videos from customers aren't adequate. Support has been minimal, as it usually is in the public sector and when we do go back to work we're going to be expected to either buy our own IT equipment for home working, or ship what we currently have (a laptop with two 22" monitors, office chair and all ancillary equipment) back and forth. I don't know what happens if anything gets damaged in the process....

Working from home has a ton of advantages for me, not least in cost savings, mainly on fuel, and the ability to manage a small child more easily. It does have its disadvantages though and keeping my professional knowledge up to date in a rapidly changing sector is far more difficult without a team of colleagues to support each other. Its going to be strange going back to an office later in the year.
DVC
Chuck

#5 Post by Chuck »

Been working from home for many many YEARS, so no change. Being unable to travel to see people is a right bummer though!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#6 Post by mikygpu »

I’ve been kinda working from home, however as my main work is PM on sites, not much work can be done remotely or if sites are closed.
As company is mine, the support was as much as the Gov allowed. So we had to rely on my wife’s income a lot more than before.
In long term, if office ppl don’t go back as much or no new offices will be needed, we will take the hardest hit.
In present offices more and more of our software based service work has been pushed into SysAdmins and we were asked on site only when equipment failed and needed replacing. And the SysAdmins don’t like it either as they have to learn a lot more new about those equipments. And some were told that because they save hours on travel, they can dedicate that time to learn remote servicing of bms, cctv, fire and security.
60% of all new work has been cancelled and there is no talk if or when it will start again. And if it doesn’t, probably those empty offices will be turned to flats.
If office ppl don’t go back then the traffic will probably be lighter, but so will be the work.
All this Covid thing has made me think of a change of carrier.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

In the first stage my company shut down for 6 weeks and furloughed everyone. I, along with 1 or 2 others, were kept active to keep things ticking over. So during that time I worked from home all the time but with a reduced workload. Quite a good position to be in to be honest. 75% of the work, done from home and paid in full....

After that we went onto a rota of working from home and in the office to limit our exposure to each other. In our office (all engineers) we can do 75% of our work from home. So we are now on a rota of every other day on/off as a rough guide but able to change days on or off as we need to. Things are a bit quiet at the moment but we are running fairly well and pretty effectively so, although I prefer working in the office, I would suggest there is no need to go back to full time for everyone. However, my MD is a control freak and is hating the current situation so I think we will all be back in as soon as he can justify it!
rox

#8 Post by rox »

I work from home anyway, so the only difference has been that I haven't been able to start early in order to be on the range by 14:00.
Until tomorrow, that is.

Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#9 Post by Plumose »

IT systems administrator here, worked from home apart from 5 or 6 days that needed something physical done, and I am guessing that even after we are "allowed" back as normal we will be encouraged to keep working this way.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#10 Post by Geek »

I usually worked from home about four days per week prior to lockdown, therefore, not much change.

We have been advised that there won't be any rush back to the offices, it will be a phased return initially for those that need to work in the office.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S