Rear bags

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Rear bags

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Hi I am looking for advice. I have a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor before lock down I fitted a rear bag rider. I don't normally shoot prone but I gave it a go. I could not get the bag rider to sit on my existing rear bag the bag is not high enough. Or I am doing some thing wrong. Can any one recommend a rear bag that will suit.
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

Re: Rear bags

#2 Post by micken »

That's a difficult one. So many variables involved such as the height that you like to have your shoulders and the amount you rotate your upper torso. What is your current rear bag? If I'm out in the field shooting prone from various inclines I tend to adjust to the conditions, on the range it's a case of being as comfortable as possible in a position that my body feels naturally accustomed to. Bipods and rear bags are adjusted to accommodate for that position and the line of the rifle for a relaxed aim.
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:Hi I am looking for advice. I have a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor before lock down I fitted a rear bag rider. I don't normally shoot prone but I gave it a go. I could not get the bag rider to sit on my existing rear bag the bag is not high enough. Or I am doing some thing wrong. Can any one recommend a rear bag that will suit.
To be honest, if you're not shooting competitively, why not just use a squashy sandbag? These are cheap and come in all sizes. Ebay lists plenty of options.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Hi I am looking for advice. I have a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor before lock down I fitted a rear bag rider. I don't normally shoot prone but I gave it a go. I could not get the bag rider to sit on my existing rear bag the bag is not high enough. Or I am doing some thing wrong. Can any one recommend a rear bag that will suit.
To be honest, if you're not shooting competitively, why not just use a squashy sandbag? These are cheap and come in all sizes. Ebay lists plenty of options.
I made one for the Dragunov using the material from the leg of a pair of old combat trousers, sewed up one end, filled it with plastic beads and tied up the other end.....works perfectly and can be tailored for height depending on how much filling goes in.Might not look very swanky but it does the job.

Has the advantage that you can give it a squeeze to bring the reticle on target too.....
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
howa1500

#5 Post by howa1500 »

snayperskaya wrote:
The Gun Pimp wrote:
I made one for the Dragunov using the material from the leg of a pair of old combat trousers, sewed up one end, filled it with plastic beads and tied up the other end.....works perfectly and can be tailored for height depending on how much filling goes in.Might not look very swanky but it does the job.

Has the advantage that you can give it a squeeze to bring the reticle on target too.....
I did something very similar, but I used neoprene instead. It makes it more squeezable/easier to get the desired height.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I could not get comfortable shooting prone so I have taken the rear bag rider off for now. I shoot with some guys who shoot competitevly from the prone position. I will ask them for some pointers. In the mean time I will go back to shooting from the firing point pit. I can manage that as long as I have a ladder to get in and out. Old age is not for the faint hearted I kid you not.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Well apparently you can buy rear bags I am surprised no body on here new that. ? :squirrel:
So I stumbled across this one while reading some stuff on face book the guys are apparently using all sorts of rear bags and front bags for practical rifle as well as other things. Weird but there you go you learn some thing new every day. Strange. Anyway I bought this one for starters. My friend who is involved in practical rifle and who hopes to represent the UK has given me loads of info on front and back bags.
https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/prote ... ee-leather

I have refitted the Shooting Shed bag rider to my Ruger precision rifle and I will know give it a go. Under instruction.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:37 pm Well apparently you can buy rear bags I am surprised no body on here new that. ? :squirrel:
So I stumbled across this one while reading some stuff on face book the guys are apparently using all sorts of rear bags and front bags for practical rifle as well as other things. Weird but there you go you learn some thing new every day. Strange. Anyway I bought this one for starters. My friend who is involved in practical rifle and who hopes to represent the UK has given me loads of info on front and back bags.
https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/prote ... ee-leather

I have refitted the Shooting Shed bag rider to my Ruger precision rifle and I will know give it a go. Under instruction.
Obviously you can buy them, we ain't daft..... folks just offered alternatives to paying for a new one!.....

Anyway, took you long enough to work out you can buy them.....who "new"!

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by 1066 »

Well I never. :)

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

1066 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:30 am Well I never. :)

Who "new'" eh! :p