Help. Looking to buy my first shot gun.

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Polchraine

Re: Help. Looking to buy my first shot gun.

#21 Post by Polchraine »

Being honest, it will not do your confidence much good.

You will need to be quick at reloading and when a double is thrown up you my hit the first but the second ... no chance. When te second is "on report", you may or may not get a shot.

A double barrel, without "auto safety". It is always fun watching people with game guns on their first few clays, forgetting to remove the "auto safety" and cursing becasue it does not fire or going from single to double trigger or double to single and getting it wrong.

I shoot game and clays, auto and manual safety, double or single trigger, SxS or OU and occasionally get it wrong!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

The gun is not that expensive surprisingly. Its nice but not very practical for a first gun. So I am going to pass on this one.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#23 Post by DaveB »

The Turks are making some nice guns. A buddy of mine bought a CZ o/u which was made in Turkey - really nice looking gun with case-hardened action. I had a Yildiz 20 g o/u for a couple of years and it was quite usable. If you want a new o/u, the Turkish guns are probably your best choice. Otherwise go second-hand. I have a Breda and a Winchester 101 Skeet both bought second-hand. I shoot semi-autos and o/u. I have a s/s coach-gun that I used for cowboy shooting. It's OK when the target is standing still, but something about the sight picture puts me off when the target is moving and I cannot hit a thing.

But - as has been mentioned several times already - get it fitted. I have a half-dozen shotguns, all fitted exactly the same so I can pick up any gun any day and shoot with it.
Chuck

#24 Post by Chuck »

Dave B plus1
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Alpha1

#25 Post by Alpha1 »

OK so a common reply is get it fitted.
What do you mean by get it fitted. Can I go into gun dealer and get fitted I don't understand what you mean by get it fitted.
Polchraine

#26 Post by Polchraine »

An experienced coach/dealer will tell if a gun fits you or is a close fit. They can then bend te stock in various directions and either lengthen/shorten.

Best for you is to find a gun which fits and may only need a tweak to length - a decent dealer will tell you idf it does or does not fit.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#27 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:OK so a common reply is get it fitted.
What do you mean by get it fitted. Can I go into gun dealer and get fitted I don't understand what you mean by get it fitted.
You didn't read the link I posted then?......here it is again, it explains what "fit" is!.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/all-a ... nfit-83927
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#28 Post by Alpha1 »

snayperskaya wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:OK so a common reply is get it fitted.
You didn't read the link I posted then?......here it is again, it explains what "fit" is!.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/all-a ... nfit-83927
Thanks I must of missed that first time around.
Alpha1

#29 Post by Alpha1 »

On the range to day with my long time shooting buddies. (Not a good day. We all got soaked it peed down and the right front wing on the car got reversed into and destroyed)

Anyway the conversation turned to shot Guns the bulk of the Guys in my Club are retired. It transpires that a small group of them have been going to Thimbleby Shooting Ground on an afternoon during the week. Some of them are new to Clay shooting and some of them have been at it a long long time.
Any way the outcome was I am invited and they will bring shot guns for me to try.

A result. (Except for the car her indoors is not amused the rear wing rear bumper the tailgate and rear door was only repaired from a previous bump about six weeks ago.)
Polchraine

#30 Post by Polchraine »

Alpha1 wrote:...
Some of them are new to Clay shooting and some of them have been at it a long long time.
Any way the outcome was I am invited and they will bring shot guns for me to try.
That will be a good start and you will soon see or feel the differences between them. And even the same model can feel totally different when the stock has been adjusted for overall length, length of pull, comb, cast &c

And if someone offers you a 20 bore, don't discount it

- Abraham Lincoln