Deer calibre

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mr_Logic

Deer calibre

#1 Post by Mr_Logic »

right then here's one :-)

I currently have a Tikka T3 in .308, which is the Varmint model. Without a mod it kicks sharply and I can never get comfy shooting it. With a mod (PES muzzle can, lightweight thing) after 3 shots I can't see a great deal due to the heat haze from the mod. One way or another I don't get on with it.

Therefore, thinking of changing to another calibre with less recoil and a sensible barrel length. Talking to Stuart Anselm to get a new barrel, he recommended 6.5 Creedmoor - looking into it, appears a great calibre but can't see brass available anywhere which worries me.

Made me think though - what other calibres should I look at? Stuart did mention the 260 Rem and that also looks very interesting.

I keep coming back to good ol' .243 though - with a 9 twist barrel (or 8?) it will then be happy with 100gr bullets and that should be OK for every deer I can find. Roe or muntjac thus far, so don't need a cannon. 243 has the benefit of available, cheap brass and, in a 9 twist, a reasonable choice of decent deer bullets. But equally, I have heard really good things about the 6.5mm calibres, and the ballistics do look excellent.

Thoughts on calibre appreciated please but will need to be something that is a straight barrel swap with the 308. Many thanks!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Deer calibre

#2 Post by kennyc »

have you thought about down loading the .308, or fitting a muzzle brake? both can reduce the felt recoil considerably, as to the moderator, if you are still firing at deer after 3 shots give up! or leave the Deer Park :D if it's target use thats causing the issue then a brake may well be the answer (it will give you a bit more elbow room on the firing point as well :D ) I know what you mean about the heat haze, it takes 9-10 before my ASE utra does the same (.308) but it does slow you down some.as to .243 ,in my opinion a great calibre! versatile and accurate, and the deer I have shot with it have dropped like they were pole-axed.
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

Any of those will do the job and are compatible with the 308 bolt face.

The Creedmoor is available from Midway UK for £37.92 for a box of 50 (back order at the moment)

Not about hunting but good articles anyway.

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shoo ... creedmoor/

or as Kennyc says download the 308

My scout rifle (18 inch barrel no mod) is very pleasant (and accurate) with 125 grain nosler bt running at 2400fps.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Mr_Logic

#4 Post by Mr_Logic »

Thanks folks. The issue I have is getting it zeroed up - tends to wander around because of the heat. I did have 243 before, got rid because of having the 308, and very much regret it because the 243 was shooting half inch groups all day long in the right place. I do not do that with the Tikka, sadly.

Will try loading down a little and see what happens there - loathe to spend too much more time on it tbh!
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

Get a sock for your mod.

Don't shoot deer but 308win will stop any size but bullet drop my be an issue compared to 6.5mm.

:D
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

Mr_Logic wrote:Thanks folks. The issue I have is getting it zeroed up - tends to wander around because of the heat. I did have 243 before, got rid because of having the 308, and very much regret it because the 243 was shooting half inch groups all day long in the right place. I do not do that with the Tikka, sadly.

Will try loading down a little and see what happens there - loathe to spend too much more time on it tbh!
there must be some other issue if it won't zero? my Howa stays on zero regardless of how many shots go through it (other than the cold bore shot which is Billy no mating it over to one side ) my issue is after 10 fast consecutive shots I can't see the target at 100 yds untill its had a minute or two to call down, and thats with a sporting profile barrel, have you checked for the barrel fouling the stock? or even bedding ?
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

Is your mod coming loose? That puts my 308win shots wondering...and when it gets hot...esp after 10 in quick succession.

You're not thinking of using a brake for deer shooting???

:lol:
Scotsgun

#8 Post by Scotsgun »

Mr_Logic wrote:right then here's one :-)

I currently have a Tikka T3 in .308, which is the Varmint model. Without a mod it kicks sharply and I can never get comfy shooting it. With a mod (PES muzzle can, lightweight thing) after 3 shots I can't see a great deal due to the heat haze from the mod. One way or another I don't get on with it.

Therefore, thinking of changing to another calibre with less recoil and a sensible barrel length. Talking to Stuart Anselm to get a new barrel, he recommended 6.5 Creedmoor - looking into it, appears a great calibre but can't see brass available anywhere which worries me.

Made me think though - what other calibres should I look at? Stuart did mention the 260 Rem and that also looks very interesting.

I keep coming back to good ol' .243 though - with a 9 twist barrel (or 8?) it will then be happy with 100gr bullets and that should be OK for every deer I can find. Roe or muntjac thus far, so don't need a cannon. 243 has the benefit of available, cheap brass and, in a 9 twist, a reasonable choice of decent deer bullets. But equally, I have heard really good things about the 6.5mm calibres, and the ballistics do look excellent.

Thoughts on calibre appreciated please but will need to be something that is a straight barrel swap with the 308. Many thanks!

I think you have slightly mixed up thinking here.

1. Stear clear of muzzle breaks. You will not be popular in syndicates or amongst stalkers. If the scope is sufferting from excessive heat haze after a few rounds then fit a neoprene cover.

2. You're obviously a bit recoil sensitive and find the 308 uncomfortable, so why not just download it? The 308 is perhaps the most widely spread round in existance so you'll easily be able to find a factory load or your own reload to your liking. Old Mike taught me more than i'll ever admit and he carried a reduced load 308 until he couldn't tackle the hills any longer. Quite an achievment for a gent of 78.

3. The .243 is a fine calibre but some are sensitive to its usage on larger deer . There are many estates which won't allow its usage for reds and sika. There is some speculation that the Forrestry Commission will soon come to the same conclusion.

4. 6.5 Creedmore, 260, 280, 25 pronghorn, 6mmbr, etc, etc Every few years another obscure round is released and the magazine numpties start screaming that this one is the ultimate. Give the buggers 6 months and they'll be screaming for another. We have all fallen for it at some time.
So here's the test. You've just arrived at a location for the promised stalk of a lifetime and discovered that you've left the ammo at home. Fortunately there's a little gun shop that services the local stalkers, but will it have your calibre?
.243, 308, 270 - definately. 25-06, 30-06 - possibly. 6.5 creedmore....aye right!

If you really must have a 6.5 then give it 6months or so and then do a browse of Guntrader. There you'll find the rifles of all those who ran out to buy the 'next wonder gun' in the belief that it'll make them a markman. I have a Cooper Rifle in 260 languishing at the back of my safe. I was convinced that it was the absolute dog's bollox for roe. I've dropped precisely 1 roe in almost a year with it.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#9 Post by the running man »

be a man and get a mans gun, 30-06 is listed as the worlds best hunting round in catridges of the world.

ive a ruger 77 with mod and theres more recoil on my .45 marlin!!!

download it 65gn for target or fox, 300gn and stoked right up for dinosour!!!

and its for sale too!!!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Scotsgun wrote:

I think you have slightly mixed up thinking here.

1. Stear clear of muzzle breaks. You will not be popular in syndicates or amongst stalkers. If the scope is sufferting from excessive heat haze after a few rounds then fit a neoprene cover.

2. You're obviously a bit recoil sensitive and find the 308 uncomfortable, so why not just download it? The 308 is perhaps the most widely spread round in existance so you'll easily be able to find a factory load or your own reload to your liking. Old Mike taught me more than i'll ever admit and he carried a reduced load 308 until he couldn't tackle the hills any longer. Quite an achievment for a gent of 78.

3. The .243 is a fine calibre but some are sensitive to its usage on larger deer . There are many estates which won't allow its usage for reds and sika. There is some speculation that the Forrestry Commission will soon come to the same conclusion.

4. 6.5 Creedmore, 260, 280, 25 pronghorn, 6mmbr, etc, etc Every few years another obscure round is released and the magazine numpties start screaming that this one is the ultimate. Give the buggers 6 months and they'll be screaming for another. We have all fallen for it at some time.
So here's the test. You've just arrived at a location for the promised stalk of a lifetime and discovered that you've left the ammo at home. Fortunately there's a little gun shop that services the local stalkers, but will it have your calibre?
.243, 308, 270 - definately. 25-06, 30-06 - possibly. 6.5 creedmore....aye right!

If you really must have a 6.5 then give it 6 months or so and then do a browse of Guntrader. There you'll find the rifles of all those who ran out to buy the 'next wonder gun' in the belief that it'll make them a markman. I have a Cooper Rifle in 260 languishing at the back of my safe. I was convinced that it was the absolute dog's bollox for roe. I've dropped precisely 1 roe in almost a year with it.

I agree wholeheartedly with Scotsguns take on this, especially the new calibres fad, the only thing I would add is that the venerable 6.5 x 55 Swedish is also worth consideration.

Me I have three stalking calibres .222" Remington for the Roes and when I want to out shoot those .223" Tarts guns on the range. .244" Remington for Roes and Reds but mainly because I just love the cartridge and is easily reload and very accurate. .303" British for the Reds, I love the round almost perfect for the Red again very accurate and what I was brought up with for shooting reds.

If I could only have one it would be the .303".

I don't have one at present but the .270" is another fine round, but not if you are recoil shy.

.308" newfangled round never seen the point of it, just like jacketed bullets and smokeless powder it'll never catch on. :55:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/