Rifled barrels

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

Re: Rifled barrels

#11 Post by poll007 »

poll007 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:34 pm rifled shotgun barrels seem to be grey area
It seems pretty clear in the legislation to me? S5 by virtue of 5(1) (ab) - "any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rimfire cartridges."

Note it doesn't mention either shotgun or rifle, only 'rifled gun'.
[/quote]

I should have been clearer- I completely agree that the wording of the legislation should make it section 5. however the fact that these are sold and owned on section 1 certificates suggests that at least some police forces are allowing them. Granted my own FEO said i could have a section 5 gun converted to section 1 which is clearly against the guidance. That and speaking to another police officer who response to this was "yeah some police forces ignore that guidance anyway and interpret it differently". As such I'm guessing someone has either misread the legislation as "rifle" not "rifled gun" and decided it doesn't apply to a "rifled shotgun barrel" or noone has paid any close attention to the guns and so it has gone under the radar.

It would be interesting to know what the RFD would list the gun as when signing it onto a certificate. If they just put down section 1 shotgun then I guess the police would be none the wiser until someone asks the question.
The Event

#12 Post by The Event »

poll007 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:34 pm rifled shotgun barrels seem to be grey area (i've seen a fair few mosberg 500 "slugsters" for sale over the years=there is even one this site). I think this is due to the fact they are still classified as being section 1 shotguns with a rifled barrel rather than actual rifles. I can't see anything in the legislation that would clear it up though. Im guessing another grey area that each police force will have a different opinion on.
I suspect that the Mossberg slugsters, although they have rifle sights, actually have smoothbore barrels.
Which is the case with mine.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#13 Post by Mattnall »

If it has a rifled barrel (or even rifled chokes) then it is a rifle and not a shotgun, as far as I understand it. Therefore S1 and if it meets all the other requirements the barrel can be as short as 12".
As mentioned above, if it is not 22RF and semi or pump then it is S5. I cannot find any mention to a 'rifled shotgun' being a classed as a shotgun for licensing purposes.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Blackstuff »

poll007 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:31 am It would be interesting to know what the RFD would list the gun as when signing it onto a certificate. If they just put down section 1 shotgun then I guess the police would be none the wiser until someone asks the question.
This, I strongly suspect is the case. That and as others have said the RFD/shop assistant getting mixed up between a description and what the gun actually features.
DVC
The Event

#15 Post by The Event »

Mattnall wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:03 pm If it has a rifled barrel (or even rifled chokes) then it is a rifle and not a shotgun, as far as I understand it.
I have seen guidance (but can't remember when or where, only that it was along time ago) to say that rifled choke tubes are legal depending on what percentage of the barrel will be rifled when they are fitted . It had to be something really low like 5%.
But please don't anyone take my word for it and go out and buy one, it may have been a proposal, it may have changed. And it probably won't make the gun any more accurate anyway.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

Rifled chokes are legal when fitted to a single or double barrel gun. However, it changes the classification of that gun from s2 to s1 all other aspects being equal.

Rifled chokes on a pump or semi shotgun, are legal as long as you have s5 authority! Fitted to either s1 or 2 and then removed still leaves that gun s5 without them.

I appreciate the "how would they ever know" caveat, but the facts remain.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!