The SLR returning to British army.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

Re: The SLR returning to British army.

#11 Post by PeterN »

Just adopt .280 British (7x43mm). Job done.
Regards
Peter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.280_British
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#12 Post by DaveB »

I always thought the Americans had a lot of damn gall. First they browbeat everybody in NATO to adopt the 7.62 x 51mm, then only a few years later they do the same with 5.56 x 45mm. Maybe they can afford to replace a whole fleet of rifles every few years, but many cannot. Hope they don't do the same again with 6.8 or 6.5.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

DaveB wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:25 am I always thought the Americans had a lot of damn gall. First they browbeat everybody in NATO to adopt the 7.62 x 51mm, then only a few years later they do the same with 5.56 x 45mm. Maybe they can afford to replace a whole fleet of rifles every few years, but many cannot. Hope they don't do the same again with 6.8 or 6.5.
the 5.56 that got adopted though was the FN version, wasn't it, not the American flavour?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#14 Post by Airbrush »

Sim G wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:09 pm That was part of the rational given, which may be true of opposing armies with similar morals.

But, the enemy faced today is fanatical and determined. Wounded and down is not necessarily out.
I always thought that was strange strategy considering the enemy was the USSR, who had a track record of not giving a s*** for their own troops. wtf
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

Aye, but the man standing next to him might…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#16 Post by Mattnall »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 am
DaveB wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:25 am I always thought the Americans had a lot of damn gall. First they browbeat everybody in NATO to adopt the 7.62 x 51mm, then only a few years later they do the same with 5.56 x 45mm. Maybe they can afford to replace a whole fleet of rifles every few years, but many cannot. Hope they don't do the same again with 6.8 or 6.5.
the 5.56 that got adopted though was the FN version, wasn't it, not the American flavour?
But it was the American military that drove the change, possibly as the wars they were fighting at the time had engagement ranges more often much less than 300yds.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#17 Post by Strangely Brown »

450 Martini wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:47 am I first saw this on the Facebook group "Veterans News UK" which is a military humour page. The article is clearly poking fun at the old and bold who do tend to waffle on about the wonders of the obsolescent SLR.
The same Facebook group also published that there was going to be a medal issued for soldiers who had served in BOAR; imagine that a medal for driving round the countryside and getting pi55ed every weekend! :p
Mick
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#18 Post by channel12 »

Mattnall wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:32 pm
bradaz11 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 am
But it was the American military that drove the change, possibly as the wars they were fighting at the time had engagement ranges more often much less than 300yds.
To be fair we British were looking at an intermediate cartridge before we (and NATO) were pushed into adopting 7.62 by the Americans.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

I wonder if 5.56 was adopted as a result of the Soviet Union switching from 7.62x39 to 5.45x39 in 1974?.

The 5.45 7n6 round is a nasty little bugger!
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#20 Post by channel12 »

In other news the Indian Army is dumping its problematic INSAS rifle and buying the SIG Sauer 716 rifle in 7.62x51 for special forces.

https://guardingindia.com/china/exclusi ... s-from-us/

The Indian Army is buying a batch of AK-203 in 7.62x39 from Russia and then further rifles will be built in India under licence in the future.

https://www.financialexpress.com/defenc ... a/2315875/

So it seems they are moving away from 5.56 and going for bigger calibres.

But from pictures from A'stan it appears that given the choice of an AK of AR, Taliban fighters are picking up AR's