SGC Lever action

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

SGC Lever action

#1 Post by mag41uk »

Must be a few of these around now.
Any feedback from owners?
Practical shooter

Re: SGC Lever action

#2 Post by Practical shooter »

Was lever action not banned ?
RDC

#3 Post by RDC »

Practical shooter wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:17 pm Was lever action not banned ?
No, that was lever release.

The SGC lever action is basically an AR-styled under lever that you cycle the action with the pistol trophy at pushes forward. I've got a sneaking suspicion that Blackstuff has one.
Practical shooter

#4 Post by Practical shooter »

Aahh that is good to know thanks
Practical shooter

#5 Post by Practical shooter »

I just had a look on YouTube and as much as I love for the development of new toys for range fun I just don't know. Id also be very interested in any user reviews from members
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#6 Post by channel12 »

Having handled one recently all I can say is it's heavy.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#7 Post by Lever357 »

I'm surprised Blackstuff has not been along yet.

He and his friend bought one each. Friends works like a dream, Blackstuffs had issues feeding rounds. It has been back to SGC and now runs better but will still not feed the homeloads that the other one has no issues with!!! They have swapped magazines and it jammed with the mags that worked fine in the other; they swapped uppers and it jammed with that even though the upper worked fine in the good gun; they've have swapped lowers and same has happened.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
andyc
Home club or Range: Blackburn rifle and pistol

#8 Post by andyc »

I don't own one but was shooting one last week, like all bobs stuff it was accurate and well made and cycled smoothly enough..

To be honest though it just wasn't my cup of tea and I love AR platforms and lever actions.. Just not an combination of the two
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#9 Post by DanTheMan »

Shot one a few weeks ago and really liked it (I like my AR's). Shame I spent all my compensation money on 5 other firearms and had none left for another SGC.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

As Lever357 says I have one and it had feeding problems initially which have now been hopefully solved by a trip back to SGC and in fairness to them they turned it around pretty quickly. My mates gun worked flawlessly from the outset.

The guns are very well made and are an update of the humble lever-action and being in the AR format extremely customisable. Mine seems to favour 115gr ammo and groups well with it, my former lever-release SGC gun favoured 124gr stuff but the barrels are completely different. On that note, I don't know why by SGC have put monstrously heavy 0.885" barrels on the guns 5mith Even if you're mag dumping there is just no need for a barrel that thick on a 9mm, especially a lever-action! I seem to recall the later lever-releases having similar thickness barrels so can only presume he's using up the old barrel stock he has possibly . As mentioned, the thickness of the barrel adds significantly to the weight, especially if you get the 16" version.

Personally I think the gun would've been more useful in 10mm and the bolt block looks like it could take .50BMG its that meaty! Presumably they went with 9mm as its a more known quantity.

Overall I'm happy with mine (now) and will be using it for IPSC PCC comps, the first one next month. It will be interesting to see how that pans out as at present there are no gun/equipment divisions within IPSC PCC so I will be using a box mag fed rifle with red-dot sight in the same division as someone using a tube mag gun with irons, hardly seems fair. This is due to the peculiarises of UK firearms law trying to fit in with international laws and everyone else in the world using semi-auto box mag guns. Whether we get our own set of rules, goodness knows.

If you're thinking of getting a 9mm rifle for PCC or gallery rifle matches they're definitely worth a look at. The price is off putting though and I doubt I would have got one had it not been effectively free because of my MARS compo money.
Attachments
20210930_110912[1].jpg
DVC