Consultation regarding the purchase of a new rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Consultation regarding the purchase of a new rifle

#11 Post by Sim G »

What country are you in? Makes the U.K. sound firearms friendly!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

Sim G wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 pm What country are you in? Makes the U.K. sound firearms friendly!
He lives in Israel.
gyt
Home club or Range: I.N.R.A

#13 Post by gyt »

rox wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Pete wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:05 pmRox, the OP also said : "We do not have weapons services here and I have to order a ready-made rifle, preferably from Europe", which kinda throws a spanner in his works...........
Doesn't necessarily preclude ordering a rifle with the barrel of his spec, or sending the rifle for 'repair' (rebarreling) or travelling to a competition and (miraculously) returning with a new barrel.
Do you think that Grunig & Elgimer barrels are good enough for F/tr f-class ?
Will the thread in the action be able to support the long heavy barrel( 28"-30" 24 mm muzzle diameter) without hurting accuracy?
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by Pete »

Grunig & Elmiger have an excellent reputation..........if they manufacture a complete rifle with a long heavy barrel, I'd say you can be confident that it will work.

In case you haven't already seen this, here are the rules: https://cihprs.wildapricot.org/Resource ... 0Rules.pdf

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
gyt

#15 Post by gyt »

Thank you so much Pete!
I wish I lived in the UK for that matter. Unfortunately I live in Israel and the state does not allow the practice of marksmanship. Any license to possess a firearm is conditional and can be taken away . Despite this we are a group of shooters dedicated to the subject and make great efforts to preserve the ability to hold competitions. I have a dream to bring the field of f-class to Israel but the dream seems at the moment to remain a dream for a long time. Thanks so much for the helpful advice and I apologize because I did not notice you answered me and asked you twice the same question.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#16 Post by Triffid »

You might be lucky to find a gunsmith in Europe who would be able to swap your barrel 'while you wait'.

In my opinion you should start with the 'given' which is the ammunition available to you. You say that you can get Sellier & Bellot match 168-175 grain .308win, old(1990) I.M.I .308win 168 grain or Fiocchi .308WIN perfecta 168-175 grain. Pick one which is going to be the 'best' and available in the long term. Then have an F-TR built to shoot that ammunition - a decent gunsmith like Mik at Dolphin will be able to tailor the barrel lenth and chambering to get the best out of the rifle, just like Rox says above. If you picked the S&B ammunition, it's widely available in the UK, so the gunsmith would be able to get some.

Triffid
gyt

#17 Post by gyt »

Thank you !