How to find the centre of a hole.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: How to find the centre of a hole.

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

Polchraine wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:51 pm What will be teh cost of your time, plus further powder coating &c &c ? Would it not be cheaper to purchase a new set, or return the incorrect set for exchange?
We are not bothered about loosing the powder coating. This is the only set they do the block is normally used for medical/pharmaceutical vials. Our vials are designed to go onto a analytical GC carousel. They are a different size they don,t normally go into a block.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#12 Post by Dellboy »

if the holes are equally spaced on all of the blocks i would use the siver steel method with a fixed stop on the bed . i take it your using the mill ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes I am using a mill the silver steel method is probably the easiest. I will give it a try.
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

I clamped the block to the work table and used a 10mm ground rod to centre the hole. I clamped the down feed to to give me the correct depth and went for it I opened the hole up to 11.9mm and all was good. I have been instructed to only do one hole then take it in to work so they can try 50 2ml glass vials to be confident they will fit. If everything works out I will probably spend the next couple of weeks working from home drilling out at least 6 of these blocks.
A local Engineering Company could of probably done this for half the price I am charging them.
Polchraine

#15 Post by Polchraine »

Alpha1 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:54 am I clamped the block to the work table and used a 10mm ground rod to centre the hole. I clamped the down feed to to give me the correct depth and went for it I opened the hole up to 11.9mm and all was good. I have been instructed to only do one hole then take it in to work so they can try 50 2ml glass vials to be confident they will fit. If everything works out I will probably spend the next couple of weeks working from home drilling out at least 6 of these blocks.
A local Engineering Company could of probably done this for half the price I am charging them.
Why not subcontract it ... 2 weeks off and a profit!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

I need a digital read out for the Mill.(DRO). I have opened up one hole as requested and trial fitted one of the 2ml GC vials and its a nice snug fit at 11.9mm. I am taking it in to work to morrow. If they give me the go ahead I may be able to buy the DRO. fingerscrossed shakeshout
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

Mill.(DRO)?????????

2ml GC???????????

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Polchraine

#18 Post by Polchraine »

dromia wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:10 am Mill.(DRO)?????????

2ml GC???????????

GC - Gas Chronograph

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

dromia wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:10 am Mill.(DRO)?????????

2ml GC???????????
I need a digital read out for the Mill.(DRO)
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

The blocks turned out to be aluminium. I used a 10mm ground rod to centre each hole. I set the depth stop on the mill and used three different sized drills to get to 11.9mm then finished it off with a 12mm reamer. It took forever each block has 28 holes and there are 8 blocks to do. I have done two blocks while I have been off I have tried them with the Gas Chronograph vials in situ and they are snug as a bug in a rug. I am taking them into work tomorrow. If they want the other six doing they will have to pay me to work from home and the cost of tooling etc. Otherwise they can naff off. I am sick of looking at them all ready.