Pietta PPS 50 22lr - ammo choices

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Sonofsammo

Pietta PPS 50 22lr - ammo choices

#1 Post by Sonofsammo »

Hi all,
I'm looking for some ammo advice in order to avoid bankruptcy whilst using the drum mag.
I've just picked up a second hand Pietta PPS50, which is a lovely gun, I just need to find an ammunition that will cycle the gun whilst firing quickly.
So far I have tried
Geco semi auto - pretty much every third round jammed
Blazer HV - one round in five jammed
Federal American Eagle - one in five jammed
With all three, some failed to initially load when racking the bolt.
I have had none of these problems whilst using CCI minimags. But they're comparatively expensive.
Could somebody provide some recommendations that are comparable to the minimags, but cheaper please?
TIA :D
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Pietta PPS 50 22lr - ammo choices

#2 Post by Sim G »

I think you’ve answered the question! Rimfire semis are notoriously unreliable with ammunition they don’t like. You’ve already found that three types don’t work. And I’ll guarantee you that someone will be running a semi with Geco, Blazer or American Eagle with no issues at all!

You’ve found the ammo that runs your gun reliably…. Mini Mags.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#3 Post by redcat »

"Cheap" .22LR is not really cheap if it doesn't work. MiniMag is my 'go to' rimfire ammo. Works in everything I've tried it in. Stick with it and enjoy what is a great little fun gun.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

I'm going to have to say stick with the MiniMags too. The cheap stuff just doesn't have the necessary thrutch to reliably work the action if it's got a chunky bolt to shift. My Southern Gun M4-alike wouldn't work with anything less. Also a lot of the cheaper stuff tends to be lubed a tad thickly which can drag in the magazine.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Cheap ammunition is cheap for a reason.

Mainly lack of consistency in manufacture, hence "sometimes they do, sometimes they don't" and all points in between.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
The Event

#6 Post by The Event »

I'd suggest trying Aguila Super Extra high velocity. It's a copper washed round and so far it's working all my .22s as well as Mini Mags did but for a couple of pounds less per hundred.
RDC

#7 Post by RDC »

The Event wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:54 pm I'd suggest trying Aguila Super Extra high velocity. It's a copper washed round and so far it's working all my .22s as well as Mini Mags did but for a couple of pounds less per hundred.
Where are you picking that up from locally?
Graham M

#8 Post by Graham M »

Does make me smile when someone buys a gun with a 50rnd drum magazine and then worries about the cost of ammo. lol lol lol
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
The Event

#9 Post by The Event »

RDC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:21 am
The Event wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:54 pm I'd suggest trying Aguila Super Extra high velocity. It's a copper washed round and so far it's working all my .22s as well as Mini Mags did but for a couple of pounds less per hundred.
Where are you picking that up from locally?
Our club did a special order for many, many thousands of rounds from Ammo North West.
McAvoys also had some but I don't know if they still do.
Sonofsammo

#10 Post by Sonofsammo »

Thanks for all the advice.
Turns out the problem was the magazine - a problem with the feedlips.
I bought a new 30 round mag and it'll go through cheapies all day! Shame the 50 round mag is knackered, but hey ho.
Ended up getting a load of geco semi auto - with the original mag they were atrocious, but with the new one they're excellent.