Practical shotgun postal comps.

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Practical shotgun postal comps.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

One of my clubs has decided to get involved in a practical shotgun postal comp.
I am not into Shot Guns my last renewal was the first time I asked for a Shot Gun certificate and the only reason I got one was the fact my Club members who are all retired are now spending Wednesday mornings at a Local Clay shooting ground and I thought I might join them. Apparently the full English breakfasts are out of this world. Which is reason enough for me to turn up even if I don't shoot.
Any way to get back on track am I right in thinking this comp is not likely to be shot with a up and under or a side by side. Am I right in thinking you would need a pump action or what ever the right term is. Any way I am guessing they are likely to hold more than two cartridges. Yes No.

What is bird shot ?.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

Re: Practical shotgun postal comps.

#2 Post by strangesam »

You can try with a S/S but you will struggle with competitiveness.

Ideally you need a section 1 shotgun, there are multiple classes in the rules, roughly as described below.

Manual Standard - Pump action, no electronic sights, max 9 rounds loaded
Standard - Semi, no electronic sights, max 9 rounds loaded
Modified - Electronic Sights Allowed, max 14 rounds loaded, any action
Open - Electronic Sights Allowed, Detachable Magazine

To have a go though, all you really need is any shotgun, ammunition, and some sort of loading belt (loading from loose cartridges in a pouch or pocket is a bad idea and an exercise in frustration). The club should guide you through it. And most will be able to lend you a belt and suitable sec2 gun to start with.

I started off with a sec2 pump, and could be reasonably competitive with it, though these days I usually shoot either open (Typhoon F12) or Manual Standard (Supernova) when my health allows.

For PSG bird shot is defined as cartridges 2-9 shot size. Though many ranges have their own restrictions (mine limits to 6 or greater, fibre wad). As opposed to buckshot or slug, which is used with paper targets. Personally I tend to use No6, 30gm pigeon loads.

A reasonably tight choke is advisable when using shot, as you are trying to knock over steel plates at ranges of 5-25 m with birdshot, and a loose choke wont give a tight enough pattern to do this at longer ranges.

Unfortunately Sec1 shotguns fall into the same trap as LBPs in that you are only allowed to shoot the ones on your certificate.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

My advice would be to get a nice cheap section 2 pump or semi (if the club allows) and have a go. You get the normal 2+1 out of them. Then if you like it, apply for a section 1 shotgun and get one with a larger capacity.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Which club is this and can non-members shoot there? I help run a PSG club in the North east so it would be good to know of other options for members who want to shoot more than once a month (locally anyway).

The postal comps are super basic so anyone can take part and are easy for clubs to set up. You can get away with a SbS or O/U but at the least a 3 shot semi or pump would be a better option, a S1/FAC shotgun being the best tool for the job.

For PSG #7.5 or #6 size birdshot are the norm, you can't use larger than #4 for UKPSA comps. You should also check what your clubs policy is for plastic wad cartridges as most venues don't permit them so fibre wad is the order of the day.
DVC
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Its fibre wad only and I believe its members only either individual or teams. Sorry.