Advice on .22 Colt M4 style rifle

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Advice on .22 Colt M4 style rifle

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

My club range has a guest day at the end of Jan and the club has a few Ruger 10/22's and a rather nice Kriss Defiance so will try her with both and see how she gets on with those.

Thanks for the pointers guys, much appreciated :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

you know, you could always just get a .22 ak

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/armi-jager-ap ... es/1289424
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:11 pm you know, you could always just get a .22 ak

lol

But don't get a GSG Sturmgewehr 44 rep in .22RF, as light they are not.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#14 Post by DaveB »

I have both a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, and a Hammerli TAC R1. I also still have a Chiappa M4 .22RF upper left over from the days when we could own AR15s. The S&W is the lightest and most accurate of the AR-clones that I have found. It can use a lot of AR parts, including aftermarket AR triggers (but you need longer than normal AR15 pins to make it work - and probably shims as well). The S&W M&P 15-22 is one of the few where the bolt release actually works. On most it is cosmetic. It has no ejection port cover. I have to say I do not fully trust a complete polymer gun to hold up under harsh use, but then what harsh use should it really see?

Because of my slight distrust of the longevity of polymer rifles, I also bought a Hammerli TAC R1. The Hammerli is am all-metal gun, where the ejection port cover works, but again, not the bolt release. Sadly it has an absolutely awful stock trigger (11 pounds on mine originally). You need to replace the springs with their match parts to get a trigger pull that is anything like acceptable.

Both the Hammerli and S&W have really good track records with me of very few stoppages (which is more than I can say for the Chiappa).

Aside from the Chiappa, I do not believe any of the other uppers I have will fit a normal AR15 lower receiver (I cannot say for sure because I no longer have an AR15 lower to try it on - DAMN GOVERNMENT **** ). Both S&W and Hammerli (Walther) clearly state that their lower receivers will not fit a centre-fire AR upper, but curiously I do not think that they comment on the other combination (their upper and a AR 15 lower).

If you really must have a Colt M$, they are starting to advertise a new iteration of their .22RF rifle - might pay to see if you can get one of them, as apparently it has some improvements.

Hope this helps.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#15 Post by Airbrush »

No brainer, 15-22 answers all your questions.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#16 Post by Mattnall »

snayperskaya wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:24 pm
Dark Skies wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:41 pm The Southern Gun Co. V22 M4 is a well made, robust, and accurate take on the M4. There are quite a few on Guntrader at the moment.
I was looking at those earlier, will they take a .223 upper*?

*is that the correct term?, not clued up on these Capitalist rifles! lol
All the V22 I have seen will fit a standard lower.
SGCs lowers are usually to a standard build but I have seen some, especially the early ones, that will need a little reaming of the pin holes to align upper and lower to make opening the rifle easier without tools.
Not a big job and once done it's done for good and they are good solid rifles available at a decent price.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#17 Post by snayperskaya »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:11 pm you know, you could always just get a .22 ak

I did have one of those at one point, Shame I can't find one of the rare .22lr Saiga AK's from Izhmash that used to be available.....
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#18 Post by Vossie »

Just as options to consider my Mrs liked the MP5 clone, prob more to do with Brue Willis in a vest. Me I look more like Stan Ogden.
She did like the 10/22, although mine has upgraded iron sights only and used to win a fair few comps with it. They can be modified quite nicely to suit. I even have one done up like a Thompson and pairs nicely with the M1 Carbine at the range.
Both can have upgrades and better sights to suit.

My Mrs don't buy handbags cos they are practical.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#19 Post by GeeRam »

Vossie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:52 am Just as options to consider my Mrs liked the MP5 clone, prob more to do with Brue Willis in a vest. Me I look more like Stan Ogden.
lol

MP5 clone would be the ideal choice for a petite person.

There's a new H&K MP5 in .22RF out now, made for H&K by Umarex under licence, and there's lot of reviews on Youtube from USA in past couple of months, but I've not seen any ads or prices or reviews from UK sources yet, so it may not be coming to the UK, which would surprise me if so.

There is the GSG one of course....but you here lots of conflicting reports of that, although my GSG Stg.44 has been OK in the 5 years I've owned it.....apart from the weight of the thing!!
walesdave

#20 Post by walesdave »

Have you looked at the Tippmann M4?

Absolutely love mine - all metal, no polymer.

Proper last round hold-open (doesn't just hold open on the mag follower); working bolt assist; pretty much all mi-spec so any aftermarket M4 parts can be dropped-in - triggers, grips, stocks, safeties etc.; M4 buffer tube so you get an authentic 'twang' of the recoil spring with every shot

Lots of configurations available, mine is 12.25 inch barrel with aluminium handguard and collapsible stock.

Not the cheapest but, in my opinion and not 'dissing' anyone elses', way above any of the other options out there.

Bromsgrove Shooting Supplies are the importer: https://www.shootingsuppliesltd.co.uk/guns/rifle

My Elite S with a Bug Buster scope - although it normally just has a red dot on.
20210711_182335.jpg