Gun cabinet, stacking

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

Re: Gun cabinet, stacking

#11 Post by lovemunkey187 »

bradaz11 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:38 amyep. I'd say ask for 500 rounds of 38/357, if you ask for them both separately, you'll likely get only 300 of them combined. and then if you prefer mag over spl, or do a reloading run, you can do whichever you like.

you'll need to be able to store the biggest bulkiest ammo, which in this case would be 303, so like you say, as long as you can store 500 303, and 100 of the others, you're fine.

birdshot type ammo is sec2 ammo, which only needs to be secured like any other of your belongings, within a secure building etc. it does not need to be locked away. mine is sat on top of the gun cabinet and that is fine. slug ammo would need to be on an fac, and so like anything on an fac, it needs to be locked in a cabinet. same as fac moderators that you will of course be asking for in 22 and 38 to give you 2 free 1-2-1 variations for the next guns you want.
Thank you for clearing up the holding volumes.
GeeRam wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:17 pmYou may have shot yourself in the foot there by separating the .38spl and the .357, as normally you ask for a .38/.357 slot and ammo as one, not as separate slots ammo category, same as with .44spl/.44mag & 7.62x51/.308.

You should have put in for 2000 x .22, 500 x .303 & 600 .38/357....and be prepared to be knocked back a bit by FET.
On my initial app with the Met years ago, they knocked me back to 1000 x .22, 400 x .303 and 500 x .45LC.

As to the cabinets, I have the RD7+ rifle cabinet with a PD7 pistol/ammo safe sitting on top of it. They are both chemical anchor fixed to the wall, but are not bolted together.
You definately don't want to put the heavier rifle cabinet on top of the ammo cabinet!!!
I did actually think that the quantities I had requested were towards the higher end for a first FAC application.
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
Rockhopper

#12 Post by Rockhopper »

I have my ammunition safe bolted to the top of the gun cabinet (and not to the wall), the FEO was happy with it. I’m nowhere near able to store even 50% of the total I’m allowed to have as well!
lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

#13 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Rockhopper wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:46 am I have my ammunition safe bolted to the top of the gun cabinet (and not to the wall), the FEO was happy with it. I’m nowhere near able to store even 50% of the total I’m allowed to have as well!
Do you mind saying what quantities you have/allowed?
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
Rockhopper

#14 Post by Rockhopper »

i think its 300x .303 300x .308 5000x.22LR and 500x.38

As regards the .308/7.62 business (and others), my FEO said I needed to be specific, its one or the other.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

lovemunkey187 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:04 am Do you mind saying what quantities you have/allowed?
On my first application I asked for 1200x .22LR and 100x .308/7.62 and no questions were asked. Always go for slightly more than you will buy them in so you can buy more before you are empty. I.e. I buy bricks of 1000 .22LR so I got 1200 so I can buy a new batch when I am down to my last 200.
On reflection I wish I had asked for more .308/7.62 but I just don't shoot it enough at the moment.
Tallguy

#16 Post by Tallguy »

I will shortly be installing ‘stacked’ cabinets. The ammo safe will go on top of my gun safe but not bolted to it, although they will be touching. Both will bolted to the wall and the gun safe will easily take the weight of my ammo safe loaded with rounds.
fixedwheel
Home club or Range: Chichester

#17 Post by fixedwheel »

GeeRam wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:17 pm As to the cabinets, I have the RD7+ rifle cabinet with a PD7 pistol/ammo safe sitting on top of it. They are both chemical anchor fixed to the wall, but are not bolted together.
You definately don't want to put the heavier rifle cabinet on top of the ammo cabinet!!!
I have the same two cabinets (only £57 more for the combo, over the RL7+) but I put my ammo safe at knee height, and the rifle safe above it, so you grab the rifle at its balance point, which is at shoulder height. Easy to watch and control the muzzle as you put it in and out of the cabinet.

Both cabinets are on the wall with M10 studs and chemical fixing, but the rifle safe is not actually resting on the ammo safe. It did while being fitted, but used two small inflatable bags to help install. https://www.screwfix.com/p/winbag-infla ... 60mm/1363k

Tight space, and I had to lift the 44kg rifle safe myself, so had given the ammo safe fixings 24hrs to fully cure first.

I'm quite happy to put my weight on the open door of the rifle safe, it is not going anywhere.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#18 Post by Gh0st »

I have 3 x SL9+ Bolted together,

Use 2 for rifles and the third is just for ammo....
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Its actually quite surprising how much ammo you can get into a 'safe' when you try (and perhaps a misspent youth playing Tetris helped lol ).

Although this safe has almost doubled in price since I bought one 4-5 years ago, it holds a LOT for a relatively small space https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4701439 ... afe:9:21:1
DVC
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#20 Post by bradaz11 »

Blackstuff wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:33 am Its actually quite surprising how much ammo you can get into a 'safe' when you try (and perhaps a misspent youth playing Tetris helped lol ).

Although this safe has almost doubled in price since I bought one 4-5 years ago, it holds a LOT for a relatively small space https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4701439 ... afe:9:21:1
wow I bet thats almost as quick to open by smacking it rather than entering the code
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns