Gun cabinet, stacking

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Gun cabinet, stacking

#21 Post by Blackstuff »

bradaz11 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:57 pm
Blackstuff wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:33 am Its actually quite surprising how much ammo you can get into a 'safe' when you try (and perhaps a misspent youth playing Tetris helped lol ).

Although this safe has almost doubled in price since I bought one 4-5 years ago, it holds a LOT for a relatively small space https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4701439 ... afe:9:21:1
wow I bet thats almost as quick to open by smacking it rather than entering the code
I've tried jumping the solenoid on that (as well as my other ammo boxes and once its wall mounted its fine. It can also be prevented by mounting such boxes upside down, or simply bolting something else above it teanews
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#22 Post by Pippin89 »

There is a guy on Youtube called the lockpicking lawyer who tests all this kind of stuff. It's amazing how easily he opens some of the cheaper electronic safes. One of them he opened just by sticking a piece of tin foil in it and shorting out a couple of contacts. No idea if that Argos safe would be easily overcome like that but it does make to stop and think about how "safe" some safe's really are.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#23 Post by bradaz11 »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:04 am There is a guy on Youtube called the lockpicking lawyer who tests all this kind of stuff. It's amazing how easily he opens some of the cheaper electronic safes. One of them he opened just by sticking a piece of tin foil in it and shorting out a couple of contacts. No idea if that Argos safe would be easily overcome like that but it does make to stop and think about how "safe" some safe's really are.
i've dabled in lockpicking, no means anywhere near him lol, but i'd say the manual override key would not put up any fight for me. a nice tubular lock (like you used to get on bike d locks or arcade machines etc) would be far more secure than that. chubb type locks will hold off most lockpickers as it is a lot more of an artform then yale type key locks.

the main bit of security i discovered when i got into lock picking is your front door lock, no one will pick it to break in, same as padlocks. so pick resistance isn't improtant. what they will do is called snapping. you get the bit of lock barrel that sticks out your door, and wiggle it, it then breaks in 2, and they push it out and unlock your door by flicking the mech in the door. it is silent. so get anti snap locks. these are desinged to have a different part break off, and then it locks solid. far more secure.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#24 Post by bradaz11 »

Blackstuff wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:03 am
bradaz11 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:57 pm
Blackstuff wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:33 am Its actually quite surprising how much ammo you can get into a 'safe' when you try (and perhaps a misspent youth playing Tetris helped lol ).

Although this safe has almost doubled in price since I bought one 4-5 years ago, it holds a LOT for a relatively small space https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4701439 ... afe:9:21:1
wow I bet thats almost as quick to open by smacking it rather than entering the code
I've tried jumping the solenoid on that (as well as my other ammo boxes and once its wall mounted its fine. It can also be prevented by mounting such boxes upside down, or simply bolting something else above it teanews
good!
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

bradaz11 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:44 pm i've dabled in lockpicking, no means anywhere near him lol, but i'd say the manual override key would not put up any fight for me. a nice tubular lock (like you used to get on bike d locks or arcade machines etc) would be far more secure than that. chubb type locks will hold off most lockpickers as it is a lot more of an artform then yale type key locks.

the main bit of security i discovered when i got into lock picking is your front door lock, no one will pick it to break in, same as padlocks. so pick resistance isn't improtant. what they will do is called snapping. you get the bit of lock barrel that sticks out your door, and wiggle it, it then breaks in 2, and they push it out and unlock your door by flicking the mech in the door. it is silent. so get anti snap locks. these are desinged to have a different part break off, and then it locks solid. far more secure.
Yes I have dabbled a tiny bit in the past. I had a couple of practice locks which I could pick pretty easily. But one time I got my car locked in a supermarket car park. So I had to pick a padlock in the heat of the moment and managed it really easily. I think that gave me a false sense of ability so when a friend got locked out their house, I wandered over there with an "yeah I will pick that no problem" attitude.... I failed miserably. One of my practice locks had security pins so I knew how to deal with them, but in the heat of the moment, and doing it in a door rather than in my hand, I just couldn't make it work.
clleeyip

#26 Post by clleeyip »

Rockhopper wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:46 am I have my ammunition safe bolted to the top of the gun cabinet (and not to the wall), the FEO was happy with it. I’m nowhere near able to store even 50% of the total I’m allowed to have as well!
Hi, I am looking to go this route
Bolting the ammo safe on top of the gun cabinet.
Do you drill hole on top of the gun cabinet, FEO Healy about it?
Rockhopper

#27 Post by Rockhopper »

yes, i just drilled holes though them both.