Hello from Bisley

New to the forum? Tell us who you are.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Hello from Bisley

#11 Post by GeeRam »

hitchphil wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:59 pm
KevinTickner wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:05 pm Thank you for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated.
To Hitchphil and 1066,
I've been trying to find courses and also shooting clubs to educate me in TR shooting. To say the least, the response has been underwhelming which led me to this forum. I figured there must be people somewhere who have had similar problems. I have tried the NRA of which I am a member - nothing. I've tried emailing three clubs of which only the OSM replied and even tried contacting the chap whose contact info is on the NRA TR website, still nothing.
Hmm, maybe it's me?!
I present the TR skills course but mainly for Unis & BYSA- LMRA will run it but they probs want you to be a member but thats no bad thing. No replies is probs becuse of C19, winter etc so ask again, or pm me. Only NRA, LMRA & NLRC run the TR course. OSM dont & Artists send their folks to LMRA I think.
Our club shot at Bisley this morning, and we went to LMRA for post shoot lunch, and LMRA was closed....I think someone said until 17th, we guessed Covid isolation issues meaning not enough staff?

Our club has recently associated with LMRA for training reason for any prospective new members, as most of our current membership has moved away from traditional TR discipline, but we've got to have an eye on the future.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#12 Post by hitchphil »

They are refurbishing the bar etc so yes closed till 17th.

the TR skills course contains all the stuff you need on shooting techniques - position, breathing & trigger control, sight cal & zeroing, elevation table & basic wind reading etc that i see many newbies are not getting from their clubs. The basic TR course has all the transferable skills for other disciplines & that is not in the SSC courses. We get a fair few recreational shooters on the courses, Who dont want to do sling jacket etc but when they try they often find they can do it. I had one chap shot his TR with big bipod & i slowly took up the tension on the sling notch at a time over a 5 rnd shoot then he shot 10 rnds 49.5 or 6 & the bipod a cm off the ground!

Also i find that the motivation to compete & to win, is stronger than the motivation to just shoot, so those in competition in club tend to stay the distance & become life long shots. but recognise some just wana go bang & they can evolve that from 22 to BP cannon etc

I & a few network can always run the courses (TR basic & more advanced wind reading) for a club for a small fee & expenses. I run it for my club & a couple of uni clubs.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
KevinTickner
Home club or Range: The Old Sergeants Mess Bisley

#13 Post by KevinTickner »

Since my last post, I have actually been contacted by a very engaging gentleman who is the point of contact at Bisley for TR. They have had a few technical issues with the website but - Thanks to this forum (serious kudos) it's been sorted. He has explained to me how difficult its been through Covid versions 1, 2, 3, etc. So I sent off the old Winchester to a gunsmith to have it checked out, just to make sure it's ok as it hasn't been used in years. He was not impressed. He had a list of problems and suggested that the cost of fixing the faults would outweigh the value of the rifle. To his credit, he did say that some of the mechanics of the rifle were outside of his experience.
Gents, any recommendations, I need a gunsmith.
GeeRam

#14 Post by GeeRam »

KevinTickner wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:59 pm Since my last post, I have actually been contacted by a very engaging gentleman who is the point of contact at Bisley for TR. They have had a few technical issues with the website but - Thanks to this forum (serious kudos) it's been sorted. He has explained to me how difficult its been through Covid versions 1, 2, 3, etc. So I sent off the old Winchester to a gunsmith to have it checked out, just to make sure it's ok as it hasn't been used in years. He was not impressed. He had a list of problems and suggested that the cost of fixing the faults would outweigh the value of the rifle. To his credit, he did say that some of the mechanics of the rifle were outside of his experience.
You say 'sent it off' to a gunsmith, and yet you are next door to Bisley?
I'm surprised you didn't take it in to Fultons at Bisley, as a P14 is certainly within their expertise.
There are other options further afield of course, but given Fultons are on your doorstep, they should be able to sort out any issues with a P14. It may have even been through their hands years ago?
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#15 Post by hitchphil »

KevinTickner wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:59 pm Since my last post, I have actually been contacted by a very engaging gentleman who is the point of contact at Bisley for TR. They have had a few technical issues with the website but - Thanks to this forum (serious kudos) it's been sorted. He has explained to me how difficult its been through Covid versions 1, 2, 3, etc. So I sent off the old Winchester to a gunsmith to have it checked out, just to make sure it's ok as it hasn't been used in years. He was not impressed. He had a list of problems and suggested that the cost of fixing the faults would outweigh the value of the rifle. To his credit, he did say that some of the mechanics of the rifle were outside of his experience.
Hut 60 - turn left as soo as you enter camp ask for David Crispin - ask if he has any Swing mk1 Pt worn stainless 308 barrels as they just screw in & need head spacing, then a Davies trigger (I might have one pm me) & get the sights checked out for 1/4moa motion vs 1/2 & no backlash. Then you might have a gun that will drill the V at 1000 as the one like that in my club does.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
KevinTickner
Home club or Range: The Old Sergeants Mess Bisley

#16 Post by KevinTickner »

Wow,
thank you, gents. I shall most certainly follow up on the advice. GeeRam, I didn't try Bisley (Fultons) as I was spending a lot of time in Hemel Hampstead last month so for convenience, I looked up one near there. Live and learn.
But seriously, Thank you.
GeeRam

#17 Post by GeeRam »

KevinTickner wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:53 pm Wow,
thank you, gents. I shall most certainly follow up on the advice. GeeRam, I didn't try Bisley (Fultons) as I was spending a lot of time in Hemel Hampstead last month so for convenience, I looked up one near there. Live and learn.
But seriously, Thank you.
If your spending time up in that neck of the woods, take it into Chris at C&G Firearms, he's in nearby Harpenden, so only the next junction up the M1 from Hemel.