British Army Rangers looking for new rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

BamBam

British Army Rangers looking for new rifle

#1 Post by BamBam »

Looks like an AR platform is what they're after

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... new-rifle/
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: British Army Rangers looking for new rifle

#2 Post by Sim G »

The Royal Marines not just adopted the Colt Canada? Especially as that’s where most of U.K. ARs seem to come from. Would have thought it would make sense…

Don’t you just hate sales pitch and civil service bollox…

“Rifle System comprising of a Rifle and a detachable Signature Reduction System and An Optic System that complements the Rifle”
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

Sim G wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:34 pm The Royal Marines not just adopted the Colt Canada? Especially as that’s where most of U.K. ARs seem to come from. Would have thought it would make sense…
Yep, RM announced some 2 years ago that the Colt C7 would become standard issue to all RM along with the new uniforms etc.

Does therefore seem bizarre that the MOD have put out a tender for could therefore end up being a similar (but non-interchangeable) rifle for the new Rangers units, although, that would be just typical of the MOD un-joined up thinking mentality we see so much of.

teanews
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hard to fault the C7, especially the SFW variants, I much prefer it over the C8 and I have shot both.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
MistAgain

#5 Post by MistAgain »

A very interesting list of companies on the short list .

Makes me wonder how many are really serious about bidding .
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#6 Post by DaveB »

It doesn't matter how good the standard-issue rifle is, the units that see themselves as 'special' will want - if not a completely different rifle - a different version of the same rile. Here in New Zealand we bought the Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT) ARs in 5.56mm and the Designated Marksman's Weapon (DMW) in 308 Win. Both excellent weapons. The SAS got a different, special, version of both of the LMT rifles with improved bolts, different barrels, etc.. They are already wanting something completely different.

Being Canadian originally, knowing people on the Small Arms Replacement Programme (SARP) team, and having been issued the C7 (in its original form) I have a soft spot for that rifle. But even I have to admit the LMT is just a little bit better.

As for this procurement, I have never heard of half these companies - and I keep my ear to the ground - and this surprises me. There are some companies that I would have expected to see (like LMT & SIG Sauer(, that are not there - and that surprises me too. Very odd this.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

Some of the companies named Dave, are importers and distributors. Although “big names” are missing, including the entitled child that is H&K, they may very well be being represented by these agents.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Graham M

#8 Post by Graham M »

Forgive my ignorance, but is a "Signature Reduction System" simply a a flash hider????
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

Graham M wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:09 pm Forgive my ignorance, but is a "Signature Reduction System" simply a a flash hider????
yes, or a can
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

So my rifle operates using a "Lever operated primer striking system".
Is it any wonder the general public don't have a clue about weapons systems when they are blinded by bullshit.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.