Australian International Arms 7.62x39

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Australian International Arms 7.62x39

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have been researching these rifles for several years now it appears that they are regarded as inaccurate due to the barrel being chrome lined and the screw on flash hider.
The bore is .311 and grove diameter is .313. I have been able to shoot mine using a cast bullet using a custom mould ordered from the USA.
A gun smith re barreled one of them using a 20 inch barrel blank and got good results. All though he used a .308x39 reamer. I am not sure were you would find a .308x39 reamer.
I am thinking that the 7.62x39 would be a good swap for 300 black out. That would give you the option of using .308 bullets.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

Re: Australian International Arms 7.62x39

#2 Post by ukrifleman »

I would be surprised if the chrome lined bore was detrimental to accuracy.

My Type 99 Arisaka has a chrome lines bore and it compares well for accuracy with my other vintage military rifles.

I seem to remember that there were reports of quality control issues with these rifles when they first appeared on the market.

ukrifleman
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I am only going on what I have read. The guy gave up trying to shoot tight groups with his Australian International Arms rifle he played with it over a number of years with out success. Eventually he re barreled it using a 20" Barrel and as I said in my previous post a reamer that cut a .308 chamber not the normal .311 so I assume he used a .308 barrel blank. It was Thames Valley guns that wrote the article. Mine works but best performance is with a cast Loverin bullet and as I only normally shoot it at 25 yards I use a fast pistol powder. This year I am going to see if I can get it to work at a 100 yards.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#4 Post by BooBoo »

Having read the article many years ago, I also bought an AIA second hand. I was under no illusion from the outset that the barrel would be hit and miss - and in my case a tight fitting rod would either grip or slide freely up the barrel. Not all guns were like this.

I have a friend who owns a larger version in 762x51... and his is spot on (or at least one of his is)!

So, I had mine immediately re-barreled by Neil Mckillop... although it came with a tight neck (as the reamer was left over from the TV Guns article)... and was for 308 bullets, not 311 as mentioned.

Iron sighted (as I kept the original front site plus brake) it now shoots very sub moa... and I routinely enjoy 300m plus with it on a very tight group. I now also have to use very thin walled cases at the neck (Winchester)... either that or neck turn Lapua.

I shoot 1680 with the Lapua 123 308...

It's a really good fun gun - accepting the expenditure (or luck)!
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks for the info. Yes they are fun. If you kept the front sight the barrel must be tapered. The front sight brake is a tapered thread not one I would like to try and copy. I shoot mine scoped. I removed the front sight all together and made a muzzle brake for it. I wasnt sure how they would cut a .308 x 39 chamber but I think I have worked it out. I also thought one chambered in .300 black out might be interesting. Out of curiosity what lentgh of barrel did you go for.
Jimminy234

#6 Post by Jimminy234 »

The only reason I have 7.62 x39 is to buy one off these rifles, I should probably buy a number 5. Has anybody got experience with both, I would have to download the 303 and I think the 7.62x 39 would have to be downloaded a little.

As for the accuracy I’ve also read as much as I could find and was thinking a 308 barrel was sensible if it wasn’t accurate enough for me which it probably would be. But then I started thinking, I’ve seen them chambered for beowulf which would be amusing but 9x39 would probably interest me the most and get a barrel suitable for sub sonics.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

The No5 is a very different firearm than the AIA 7.62x39. The No5 was built for a purpose jungle war fair. The only problem I have with the No5 is recoil. The 7.62x39 round is a pussy cat compared to the No5. As I said I shoot my Australian International Arms with a cast Loverin bullet using fast pistol powders. I have also fired my No4 at 25 yards using cast bullets and fast pistol powders with out any issues.
I am guessing Neil Mckillop used a .308 throating reamer and a 7.62x39 reamer for the body with out free bore. Not sure if that's the correct terminology.
I still think 300 black out would be interesting.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#8 Post by meles meles »

We owns, and love shooting, a 7.62x39 No 5 'Junglie' from AIA does we.

It's very accurate, closely matching our CZ 527 in the same calibre in terms of group size. We bought ours new, and read the instruction manual (Shock! Horror!) Aforesaid book of words stated that in order to prevent undue stress to, and possible cracking of, the stock during transit across the Tropics from the Antipodes to the Mother Country, the screws securing the stock to the action had been loosed by a half turn. It was recommended that upon receipt here in the frozen North, the screws be re-tightened by a half turn. We read the Book of Words, re-tightened the screws and have had no problems regarding accuracy. We trusts all you oomans have similarly read the Instruction manual and tightened the action into the stock. If you haven't, we isn't surprised aren't we that your gun doesn't shoot straight.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

My gun shoots straight and I have had it to bits that many times I think I would of noticed if the screws were not tight. The way the barrel is fitted to the action is also interesting.