Calibre Recommendations

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Calibre Recommendations

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi all. Slightly peculiar question.... a range local to me has a fullbore range but they are limited to 2000 ft per second. Apparently most people using it are home loading light loads to keep the velocity down.
But I don't do home loading and have no design to start but I do want to shoot there as a cheap and close alternative to travelling up to Bisley.

So I'm after recommendations for a calibre that I can shoot there. I am guessing pistol calibre rifles will be the best bet. Needs to be relatively cheap ammo and cheap rifles available (even if second hand) as this will just be for plinking in between trips up to Bisley.

Range is 100 yards.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Calibre Recommendations

#2 Post by dromia »

What is the ft/lbs limit?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:33 am Hi all. Slightly peculiar question.... a range local to me has a fullbore range but they are limited to 2000 ft per second. Apparently most people using it are home loading light loads to keep the velocity down.
But I don't do home loading and have no design to start but I do want to shoot there as a cheap and close alternative to travelling up to Bisley.

So I'm after recommendations for a calibre that I can shoot there. I am guessing pistol calibre rifles will be the best bet. Needs to be relatively cheap ammo and cheap rifles available (even if second hand) as this will just be for plinking in between trips up to Bisley.

Range is 100 yards.
What kind of rifles interest you?

Under levers, bolt actions, straight pull etc... (Bolt action will generally work with any, but then certain action types lend themselves to specific cartridges - so that decision may impact your choice).

Underlever you got your common pistol cals 38/357, 44, 45, maybe some heavy 45/70 (depending on Energy limits).

Bolt action there are various wildcats but as you say no desire to hand load so would be limited to what you can get off the shelf, but anything mentioned and then some - really depends on what your stockists can get in for you.

Straight pull type rifles, you could look at .300 AAC Blackout or 9mm
Pippin89

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

dromia wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 am What is the ft/lbs limit?
They haven't mentioned one, only that they have a site wide limit across all ranges of 2000 ft per sec muzzle velocity.
TattooedGun wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:12 am
What kind of rifles interest you?

Under levers, bolt actions, straight pull etc... (Bolt action will generally work with any, but then certain action types lend themselves to specific cartridges - so that decision may impact your choice).

Underlever you got your common pistol cals 38/357, 44, 45, maybe some heavy 45/70 (depending on Energy limits).

Bolt action there are various wildcats but as you say no desire to hand load so would be limited to what you can get off the shelf, but anything mentioned and then some - really depends on what your stockists can get in for you.

Straight pull type rifles, you could look at .300 AAC Blackout or 9mm
Thanks Ste that helps a lot. 9mm straight pull was my first thought. All my other shooting is done off a sling so I really want something more casual I can shoot regularly and without any fuss... and off a bench! Seems like something along those lines will do the job.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

Ruger 77 in .44mag! Full house factory ammo out of a bolt gun, great fun!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ginger

#6 Post by Ginger »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:33 am Hi all. Slightly peculiar question.... a range local to me has a fullbore range but they are limited to 2000 ft per second. Apparently most people using it are home loading light loads to keep the velocity down.

Range is 100 yards.
IIRC the range only allows downloads with lead heads if are talking about the Dover range that Rustington HG use.

Have you checked to see what the place @ Ford can offer you, is it SHOTS or something like that? I seem to recall they did full bore there too at 100yds
Pippin89

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

Sim G wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:22 pm Ruger 77 in .44mag! Full house factory ammo out of a bolt gun, great fun!
Looks like a possible option. Thank you.

Ginger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:24 pm IIRC the range only allows downloads with lead heads if are talking about the Dover range that Rustington HG use.

Have you checked to see what the place @ Ford can offer you, is it SHOTS or something like that? I seem to recall they did full bore there too at 100yds
SHOTS is the one I am talking about. Rustington seem to have an endless waiting list for membership. Funny story, I lived in Rustington for 5 years before I knew that club existed. They seem to like keeping themselves hidden...
Ginger

#8 Post by Ginger »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:00 pm
Sim G wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:22 pm Ruger 77 in .44mag! Full house factory ammo out of a bolt gun, great fun!
Looks like a possible option. Thank you.

Ginger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:24 pm IIRC the range only allows downloads with lead heads if are talking about the Dover range that Rustington HG use.

SHOTS is the one I am talking about. Rustington seem to have an endless waiting list for membership. Funny story, I lived in Rustington for 5 years before I knew that club existed. They seem to like keeping themselves hidden...
Ah SHOTS want you to use downloaded ammo huh? I never saw that mentioned anywhere on their website when I looked, thats a bit of a show stopper for me also. I was thinking about giving them a spin with FB, but as it stands I might just take my son there for .22RF

I suppose apart form those two you are restricted to Bisley or Lydd etc.
Pippin89

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

Ginger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:08 pm Ah SHOTS want you to use downloaded ammo huh? I never saw that mentioned anywhere on their website when I looked, thats a bit of a show stopper for me also. I was thinking about giving them a spin with FB, but as it stands I might just take my son there for .22RF

I suppose apart form those two you are restricted to Bisley or Lydd etc.
Yeah thats what they have said. I shoot fullbore at Bisley but typically only every couple of months or so. Would be nice to be able to get somewhere in between the Bisley shoots for a less serious shoot every now and then.
lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

#10 Post by lovemunkey187 »

I've not shot the .44 version, but the Ruger 77 in .357 is a lovely bit of kit.
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?