Lee APP thingy

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Lee APP thingy

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

I have had a closer look at the Lyman press riser it comes with two pre drilled top plates. One of the plates easily accepts my Lyman press. The second plate needs one hole drilling in it to accept the Lee APP press. It is a 5 minute job to swop the top plates over. The Lyman press will be permanently attached to one plate and the Lee will be permanently attached to the second plate. The press riser when not in use sits under my desk. When in use I will just lift it up onto the desk and clamp it. So it looks like its going to work. The down side there is all ways a down side isn't there I bought the Lee bench plate and extra plates that you mount the Press,s on that I will probably never use.
Alpha1

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

I drilled the hole in one of the plates and attached the Lee APP press it sits on my desk with the bottle and case catcher at the perfect height for easy operation of the press. Its very sturdy and it takes 10 minutes to swop the top plate over to use my Lyman Crusher press. All in all I am impressed with the Lyman press riser I am tempted to have some spare top plates made for different duties. I am even considering mounting my Wamadet on it. Will it resize and de cap my 38 special cases any faster which is what I bought it for or easier remains to be seen. I am also keen to see how it performs with 7.62x39 and .222 case re sizing. Any way I have some new toys to play with so we will see how I get on. On reflection I didn't need to buy the Lee bench plate and the one you attach to the press the Lyman does a much better job. (In my opinion)
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

Hooray Yes the APP press resizes 38 special cases with out any issues using a carbide die. I lifted the Lyman press riser with the APP attached of the floor onto my desk fiddled with the drop tube thingy for a couple of minutes adjusted the jaw opening fingers then resized 50 cases. Job done lifted it back of the desk and put it away in a cupboard. I didn't even need to clamp the stand to the desk.
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

I have nothing on this week end so I intend to attempt to full length resize 7.62x39, 222, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor and may be .303 and see if I can break it or if its up to the job. I just love having new toys to play with.
lollol
Alpha1

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

It works fine for resizing 38 special. The case feeder drop tube is a bit of a fiddle to set up and I am not keen on the plastic bits. But its worked OK up to now. Filling the tubes is a pain. I should of done more home work before buying I have bought stuff that I will not use. I bought a bench mounting plate and two of the plates you fasten to the presses I doubt I will ever use them. The Lyman thing is awesome and negates the need for the Lee offerings. I bought a set of the four drop tube things then discovered its the wrong kit for the APP.
All though the press is a fairly cheap item I can see why because if you want to use it to its full potential it costs a fortune for all the add on bits.
I will use it for resizing and de capping straight wall cases like the 38 special and perhaps the 7.62x39 and .222 but that's about it I think. The rest of my reloading will be on the Lyman crusher now mounted on a plate that fits onto the Lyman press riser or my Wamadet press,s that I rate highly. If I could only have one press it would be the Wamadet and may be one day I will get to find out how you use the bullet sizing and all the other bits that came with it. I am seriously thinking of buying another Lyman press riser they are brilliant and so stable. I set the APP mounted on the Lyman press riser on my desk and put two bags of Dodgy Rog,s cast bullets on the tray under the press. The press riser wasn't bolted down or clamped and I just cranked the handle and rapidly re sized my 38 special cases with no issues.
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

I can not see the point of a single drop tube it is just as quick to not have the drop tube in place and just drop the case into the feed position by hand. ?
Alpha1

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

The plastic feeder arm thingy is rubbish.
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

I had some more bits arrive.
I set it up for bullet swaging I swaged 50 cast bullets with out any issues except I did not use the drop tubes I just single loaded the bullets. Is it any quicker or easier to use than a conventional press. If you don't use the drop tubes no there is no advantage.
My next step is to use it for primer pocket swaging I just need to order the kit.
The press is cheap but its cheap for a reason. Its fiddly to get it set up right. If you buy all the add on,s its a expensive piece of kit. Up to now with the money I have spent I could of bought a really good single station press. My recommendation is that you should go buy a good single station cast press and it will last you a life time.
Not that this is what the point of this exercise is about because I already have good quality cast press,s. I am seeing how far you can go with the APP press and how it fits or stacks up with my hand loading. I am not working to a budget its just a project. Stops me getting bored. I intend to push it to its limits if I bust it its not an issue.
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

andrew375 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:39 pm I shoot lots of cast in. 308. For 30+ years in fact. Still using the bullet I started out with, the Lee 200gr. Depending on powder I get sub-moa accuracy at between 1900 and 2200 fps. I've shot these out to 500 yards with good results. At 100 yards with my AI Cooper match target rifle I am shooting groups not much different than with my Anschutz super match and SK rifle match ammo.
Thanks for the feed back.
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

I had a play to night with some 6.5 Creedmoor cases. My normal routine is to knock the primers out with a de capping die. Then switch to a Redding body die using competition shell holders to re size the body and bump the shoulders back I then fit primers off the press and size the neck size using a Le Wilson neck sizing die with an Arbor press. I first smeared the cases with Unique case lube. I then ran the cases through the APP press and de capped them. I changed the shell holder for a Redding competition shell holder fitted the body die and. I then sized 50 cases feeding them by hand not using the drop tube and it worked fine I didn't even have to secure the Lyman press holder to the bench. If I used the normal APP shell holder it wold still have worked and been quicker. The idea was to see if the APP press will handle full length bottle neck cases and it does.