Packing in or reducing partictation in shooting?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dave_303

Re: Packing in or reducing partictation in shooting?

#31 Post by dave_303 »

Pre-covid I would shoot once or twice and month at a 200m range in South Wales. Since easing of lock downs I'm struggling to get down once every 3 or 4 months. Work commitments with entering middle leadership in a school have been insane, especially with trying to 'catch up'.

Shooting wise, I used to regular work my way through my milsurp collection. At the moment I mainly shoot .357 lever guns and what ammo I have left over from bulk buys of service rifles. Namely 7.62x54. I'm reallocating soon, and hoping that this will ease things by cutting my 1-1.5 hrs commute and putting myself nearly equidistant from severnside and bisley.
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#32 Post by jmc67 »

I try and go shooting about once a month, although that obviously dropped when the ranges were closed. It's mainly for the social aspect for me as I don't shoot competitively. Most of what I shoot I reload for, and thankfully (given the recent price rises) it's unlikely I'll need to buy many supplies in the short term. Will probably continue with doing the the 'once a month' for now, but when my current stocks run down, that'll most likely get scaled back.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#33 Post by Sim G »

FredB wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:32 am Interesting to see comments about the cost of full bore pistol ammunition. Back in the pre-'97 pistol shooting days, to be competitive you fired thousands of rounds each year.

GM3 was 25 quid a kilo, Howitzer 9mm LRN bullets £35 per thousand and CCI SP primers 15 pounds per 1000…

Even Howitzer factory ammo, 9mm £11 per 100!!

Three to four thousand rounds a month at the height of practical pistol days. My old Browning had well over 100K through it and my CZ75 had closer to 150K. Even pre children at todays prices, I couldn’t afford to get close to that level of activity.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#34 Post by Mauserbill »

Sim G wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:03 am
FredB wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:32 am Interesting to see comments about the cost of full bore pistol ammunition. Back in the pre-'97 pistol shooting days, to be competitive you fired thousands of rounds each year.

GM3 was 25 quid a kilo, Howitzer 9mm LRN bullets £35 per thousand and CCI SP primers 15 pounds per 1000…

Three to four thousand rounds a month at the height of practical pistol days. My old Browning had well over 100K through it and my CZ75 had closer to 150K. Even pre children at todays prices, I couldn’t afford to get close to that level of activity.
Hello
O`h those halcyon days of shooting all those who "Like me" can remember when you could shoot dawn till dusk, Pistol, semi auto with ammuntion that was no problem obtaining with a never ending supply of (mil surp) that now has. Firearms were cheap and plentiful with copious options it was almost buy one get one free.
I remember Mausers, Enfields,Mosin Nagants at £50-100 wow that has all changed.
Its a very good job that my collection was mostly purchased during that period, as I fear that anyone starting now to get a collection would need to be a lottery winner. No wonder with the costs nowadays and the hoops you have to jump through puts prospective shooters off.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#35 Post by Thorney »

Finally starting to shoot more, spent the last few years just watching other people shoot and decided this year than running comps just wasnt worth the grief so we have dropped a lot for this season.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#36 Post by Pete »

Nuff said.........but not that long ago, and there's still 800 in the box, and OK for the 6BR...

(Next time I went in, they had the magnums. :good: )

Pete
Attachments
_D811076.jpg
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#37 Post by ukrifleman »

Mauserbill wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:53 am
Sim G wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:03 am

Hello
O`h those halcyon days of shooting all those who "Like me" can remember when you could shoot dawn till dusk, Pistol, semi auto with ammuntion that was no problem obtaining with a never ending supply of (mil surp) that now has. Firearms were cheap and plentiful with copious options it was almost buy one get one free.
I remember Mausers, Enfields,Mosin Nagants at £50-100 wow that has all changed.
Its a very good job that my collection was mostly purchased during that period, as I fear that anyone starting now to get a collection would need to be a lottery winner. No wonder with the costs nowadays and the hoops you have to jump through puts prospective shooters off.
I paid £8 for my first Enfield No.4, but as I was on £15.00 a week at the time, not exactly cheap!!
Everything in context.

ukriflemam
Sim G
Past Supporter

#38 Post by Sim G »

Context…

Today the average U.K. weekly wage is, £610. Average Enfield price today? A little more than 300/350.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sim G
Past Supporter

#39 Post by Sim G »

Saw some unissued sell for nearly two grand!! And then heard very recently that the bloke Valmont is claiming new, unissued, coming in from Canada and he wants £3.5K per rifle!!!

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#40 Post by Blackstuff »

Sim G wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:32 pm Context…

Today the average U.K. weekly wage is, £610. Average Enfield price today? A little more than 300/350.
Where are you finding those prices?? I was looking out of interest the other day after reading a book on sniping during WWI and the average seemed to be £650-800 at the places I saw!
DVC