Packing in or reducing partictation in shooting?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Packing in or reducing partictation in shooting?

#11 Post by Vossie »

I found it hard with having to work through Covid, and then contracting it and leaving me with lasting effects getting to the range.
But been twice this month finally getting behind my .22lr Martini Henry and loving it.
Took me back to my teen competing days with the old No8, had a good session testing ammo and testing myself.
I was the only person on the range for the the morning, sad as there used to be loads of older guys meeting up and having a good old chin wag and sharing knowledge.
I noticed that Bisley had most ranges fully booked, but no one on them. Frustrating when you want to get on but can't find a space.
But nice to be back.
flamoudi
Home club or Range: CVPC Ashgill Scotland

#12 Post by flamoudi »

Our club has 200 members but is just coming to from the effect of the last two years. We suspended new applications for membership and probationary members couldn't attend for a number of reasons. We have lost a few members but most have been patient. It will take a while to get back.

For me health has afected my enthusiasm for shooting but also the fact others are less enthusiastic too.

Ranges up here are few but we've had that for years now.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#13 Post by phaedra1106 »

Alpha, we have 7 qualified RCO's they just won't do the job when asked.

As for shooting at Catterick there's no real advantage (apart from not having to be signed off by Otterburn) we can shoot the same distances locally.
The majority of our members live North of the Tyne oe Wear so Ponteland is a better location.

Otterburn range is a great place to shoot, we always have a good shoot there, once we get access to the field firing ranges again we can shoot out to 1000 - 1800yds
At present we're limited to the ETR eange, 300yds with Sarts amd stick-ins or our own targets (like gongs etc.).
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
The Gun Pimp

#14 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I must say that this is not reflected in my home club. 20 years ago we had about 250 members and 50% of the membership were 'sleepers'. The membership has now doubled, with perhaps (the same) 25% sleepers.

We took on 78 members last year with about 20% being new shooters. The trend is continuing with 12 new members already starting Probation this year.

We have a full programme of shoots every weekend and all of our competitions are well attended - especially our fortnightly F Class shoots where we can get up to 60 entries.
Rockhopper

#15 Post by Rockhopper »

I was a 22 prone shooter but i gave it up just before the first lockdown. I realised I just wasn't good enough, I was at the top end of B class but i want to be in with a shout at A class and it just wasn't going to happen. I was just wasting my money and not enjoying it. That's a strange attitude perhaps but i want to be winning, not just making up the numbers.
I had several full bore rifles but rarely shot them as the only range handy for me is Thorpe Cloud - takes all day to fire thirty rounds.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#16 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Over the years I have bought and sold numerous Military service rifles pre 1950s of all model and type and throughly enjoyed shooting, owning and collecting them untill moving them on, but having said that and with advancing age and thinking of my own mortality, I decided to drastically reduce my collection of section one and obsoletes. I also find it very difficult to now shoot on open ranges during the cold months. "Frozen fingers and legs syndrome"
But I definately have no intensions of giving up.
shotgun sam

#17 Post by shotgun sam »

I have had a strange 2 years shooting wise, at the beginning of January 2020 I broke/shattered my ankle in 3 places. Between 2 operations/plates and screws my mobility was limited so no farm/club shooting at that time.
Fast forward a few months I got an air cast boot so could start walking again so decided to get the air guns out again and plinking out the back garden.
Along comes covid so the club was shut and not ready to go to the farm yet (ankle wise) so ended up getting some old air guns to fix up/keep me busy.
Then the club started limited opening with social distancing but decided not to go because I would be taking a slot away from someone else and I could go to the farm and shoot when I wanted.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#18 Post by GeeRam »

Mauserbill wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:21 am Hello
Over the years I have bought and sold numerous Military service rifles pre 1950s of all model and type and throughly enjoyed shooting, owning and collecting them untill moving them on, but having said that and with advancing age and thinking of my own mortality, I decided to drastically reduce my collection of section one and obsoletes. I also find it very difficult to now shoot on open ranges during the cold months. "Frozen fingers and legs syndrome"
But I definately have no intensions of giving up.
I can relate to all of that...... :bad:
lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

#19 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Rockhopper wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:49 am I had several full bore rifles but rarely shot them as the only range handy for me is Thorpe Cloud - takes all day to fire thirty rounds.
Why all day? is there some kind of speed limit on that range?
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
Rockhopper

#20 Post by Rockhopper »

Shooting in the morning, butts in the afternoon to mark for the other half of the squad.