Henry Big Boy magazine tube replacement?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Henry Big Boy magazine tube replacement?

#1 Post by phaedra1106 »

Anyone know how to remove/replace a Henry Big Boy (H006) outer mag tube?

Mine has developed a split where the inner tube locks into place

I contacted Henry and they offered to send the parts to Viking Arms for repair under warranty.

Viking have been in touch and say it will require a new barrel, outer mag tube, inner mag tube, gunsmithing and re-proofing of the rifle and it will cost me!.

I can't see how the mag tube would be connected to the barrel?, surely it's fitted into the main receiver/frame of the action?.

Photo attached showing the splits, I may see if I can just get it welded or even epoxied.

There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Henry Big Boy magazine tube replacement?

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

The image doesn't open. Are they expecting you to pay for the parts.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

The outer mag tube is not part of the barrel it is fitted into the receiver. If the inner mag tube is OK I don't see why you would need to replace it unless they come as a matched pair. The Mag tube can be removed and replaced but you would need a total strip down of the rifle.
It is a chew on but if you are mechanically minded you could probably do it yourself.
What Caliber is the rifle. I have never had any dealings with Viking arms but I am guessing they are not familiar with taking a Henry to bits and would want to out source it to a Gunsmith and charge you for the privilege.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

From what I can find online it's held in by a single push pin in the receiver.

The rifle is a 44Mag and the inner tube is fine.

The email I got from Henry said they would ship parts to Viking for repair under warranty, no mention of costs until Viking emailed me.

Viking have their own in-house gunsmith, as they are the UK importers for Henry I would have thought they would be familiar with the rifle and know it doesn't need a new barrel etc.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

From what I can see the front of the tube is held in with a dove tailed ring that can be knocked out with a brass punch I am not convinced on looking at it again that you would have to disassemble the action I think if you removed the front wood work you could probably remove the tube without a strip down. But I might be wrong if it was me I would ask them to ship the parts under warranty and have a look yourself. There is no way I would pay them to employ a Gunsmith if it is a Warranty job. It definitely does not need a new barrel they are having your eyes out. I wish I could get a RFD certificate I really do.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

The ring can stay in place, it just guides the tube, as far as I can see it's not attached to it.

I can see the photo here, try this one.
IMG_20220210_200055441.jpg
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#7 Post by redcat »

Ask Henry to email you a parts schematic so you can see how the parts are connected.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
flamoudi
Home club or Range: CVPC Ashgill Scotland

#8 Post by flamoudi »

I've seen a schematic on the internet. You might even find a search gives you a youtube takedown.

I've found and used them for my Marlins.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

I am going to guess that US export certification means that the parts can't be shipped directly to you and even if they did there is the small matter of duty and Parcelforce charges to deal with.
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

Absolutely crazy. The tube is held in place by a dovetail fitting and I'm sure if you tap it out with a brass drift the tube just pulls out.
A new barrel is a complete joke and I can only think that Viking arms are taking the p***.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.