Insurance

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Robin128

Insurance

#1 Post by Robin128 »

Hands up who thinks they are getting screwed on insurance?

Mine is up for renewal and the way I'm thinking is to go for seperate all risks weapons insurance from BASC's agents or similar and get property and contents cover elsewhere. I always get legal cover and a low excess, with as much all risks as possible.

There are a lot of rip off merchants out there.

Any thoughts? Chuck and Targetman know the ropes.

;)

Rob
M1Charles1M
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Insurance

#2 Post by M1Charles1M »

I use BASC in my humble view, one of, if not The best! especially if your a member!
Guns are implements - They do not have Autonomy - Free thought or intent - To operate they need the input of a Person - To be Dangerous that Person must have Intent! I Shoot - I am a Law Abiding UK Subject - So what about my RIGHTS?
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

We were talking about this just last night. Shooting wise we use NRA as it means we can also use the Bisley facilities. Christel did tell me how the guns were insured but I have slept since then...

General insurance wise we have stopped a few recently and now days it is just the main ones like house, contents, NRA, car and bike that are covered.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by bobbob »

We use http://www.hiscox.co.uk/
They insure firearms as part of the contents insurance without having to know all the details. They are also covered when you take them out of the house.

Quote from their site, "With Hiscox home insurance there's no need to list valuables, such as precious metals, jewellery, watches or guns, of less than £15,000 in value, as long as the total amount insured for valuables covers them. There's also no need to list fine art and antiques, as we cover them as standard as long as they the total amount insured for contents covers them too."

We have home and contents with them at around £75. Not sure if that is expensive but when we tried to cover our guns while we were with Virgin they told us to find someone else. We found that many companies were not interested in our business when we mentioned guns.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

Home and contents cost me £600 last year.

Rob
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

House and contents is around 250 quid for us, it was a hassle as the house is 300ish years old so some people would not touch us without a survey. Now I am over 50 the 'bike insurance is very reasonable and I think the car was just under 220.00 including Europe and they are both protected NCB as well. The rifles are insured full value through the NRA for another GBP62.50 each person which also gives us third party insurance plus the ability to shoot at Bisley. (I think Heather advised Christel on this)

We gave up on the pet insurance and we put a new kitchen and appliances in three years ago so they should last a bit.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

If your guns aren't insured for all risks...what's the point?

Rob
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I thought they were.... :?:

EDIT reminds me of a conversation Christel had about insuring rifles a few years ago, there was a pause the person came back and asked if we kept them locked up?
/d

Shed Journal
Robin128

#9 Post by Robin128 »

Third party as opposed to "comprehensive"?

Isn't third party about insuring someone else's loss?

Rob
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

No, I mean if I inadvertently shoot someone, they being the third party!
/d

Shed Journal