Magazines for sgc speedmaster

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

Magazines for sgc speedmaster

#1 Post by shoppe »

Hi
My southern gun company speed master rifle ( 223) is away to get a new barrel fitted.
I am planning using heavier bullets 77graim mk.
Just having a quick look at my magazines ( pmag x30) and if looks like they should be able to get in the magazine.
My question is, is there other makes of magazines that have slightly more internal room to allow the COL to be that wee bit longer?
I have a few metal magazines but they are old and do not run as smoothly.
Cheers
Shoppe
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Magazines for sgc speedmaster

#2 Post by Sim G »

The 77gn SMK is a overall length tolerant bullet so load it to 2.260 as per data. This is the standard length and will run in AR magazines. Anything longer won't work in the mag. Stepping up to 80 grainers and you'll have to increase the OAL length to 2.550" and singularly load them.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
shoppe

#3 Post by shoppe »

My first look yesterday suggested the oal would be about 2.250. I will make up some dummy rounds today at 2.260 and see how they fit.
Thanks
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#4 Post by channel12 »

I would suggest using 75g PPU, almost identical ballistic performance but about half the price.
shoppe

#5 Post by shoppe »

Cheers for the heads up.
I will certainly try them
shoppe

#6 Post by shoppe »

500 ppu 75 grain bullets arrived today from kranks. Looking good.
Just need the rifle now
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Just make sure you get the standard 77grs and not the tipped version, which don't fit! (I Had some sent to me because of a warehouse error)
DVC
shoppe

#8 Post by shoppe »

Aye, its the standard type.
Thanks
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

Blackstuff wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:53 pm Just make sure you get the standard 77grs and not the tipped version, which don't fit! (I Had some sent to me because of a warehouse error)
Reading is essential. He said he has bought 75gr PPU bullets not 77gr Sierra match kings.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

channel12 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:05 pm
Blackstuff wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:53 pm Just make sure you get the standard 77grs and not the tipped version, which don't fit! (I Had some sent to me because of a warehouse error)
Reading is essential. He said he has bought 75gr PPU bullets not 77gr Sierra match kings.
Calm down dear and read the original post. 8-)
DVC