Pietta 1858

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Graham M

Pietta 1858

#1 Post by Graham M »

Been shooting this revolver for a while but have always had a problem with the cylinder revolving. It works OK but I have to thumb the hammer with my right thumb and turn the cylinder with my left hand. I know that the percussion caps sometimes get caught up in the works but this happens every time; it's as though the innards get gummed up with soot. Do I need to use a non petroleum based lube on the cylinder pin or am I using too much black powder???
It' works really easily when it's all cleaned up, but fire one shot and it gums up. helpsign
Pietta 1858.JPG
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Pietta 1858

#2 Post by Sim G »

Don't use any lube, Graham. A tight fitted ball so there's a good ring shaved off when seated and a properly fitted cap, just the way it was intended. Use proper, quality black powder and a proper dose of BP of between 30 and 35 grains by volume.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

What he said.

it is the excess of lube that gives BP the reputation of being messy.

If ball and powder only was good enough for Sam Colt then it should be good enough for us.

Quality BP is a must though.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by millemigliadave »

I have the Euroarms version of the same revolver, I shoot it with Pyrodex and I also find that the cylinder on mine gets tight after a couple of cylinders worth. On occasion its hard to remove the cylinder pin to clean up. I wondered if real BP would help and the comments above are encouraging. I do use a little vegetable based shortening on the front of the ball but will try without next time at the range.
Graham M

#5 Post by Graham M »

Sorry, don't mean to confuse anyone. I don't use ANY lube over the bullets; what I meant was lube on the cylinder pin to try and keep it moving free when it's been shot. I shoot a cylinder off and then have a bu99er of a game to remove the pin to take the cylinder out to reload; it's as though it's glued in there. I have tried lithium grease on the cylinder pin to see if that will stop the problem but it doesn't make any difference as the whole rear of the cylinder and breech face get covered in a thick layer of soot. I am using proper black powder and #10 compression caps, which I make sure are pressed firmly into place, but it's like cycling a cylinder that is covered in toffee. Never had this problem with the .36 cal.
Could it be that the holes in the nipples are too big and I'm getting too much blow-back through them???
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

That would dislodge or split the caps, I’d have thought. Definitely lube the cylinder pin/arbour. What powder are you using, Graham?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

Just some FFG that I bought locally
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#8 Post by channel12 »

Graham M wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:14 am Sorry, don't mean to confuse anyone. I don't use ANY lube over the bullets; what I meant was lube on the cylinder pin to try and keep it moving free when it's been shot. I shoot a cylinder off and then have a bu99er of a game to remove the pin to take the cylinder out to reload; it's as though it's glued in there. I have tried lithium grease on the cylinder pin to see if that will stop the problem but it doesn't make any difference as the whole rear of the cylinder and breech face get covered in a thick layer of soot. I am using proper black powder and #10 compression caps, which I make sure are pressed firmly into place, but it's like cycling a cylinder that is covered in toffee. Never had this problem with the .36 cal.
Could it be that the holes in the nipples are too big and I'm getting too much blow-back through them???
One of the joys of asking questions on here is the ability of people to misunderstand the problem.

I also have a Pietta copy of the Remington New Model Army 1858 and you are not alone with your problem of the cylinder binding on the arbour after a number of shots. In my case its normally part way through the second string of shots. There's no prefect solution except slap as much lube of your choice on the arbour, note the arbour is half round and there space for the fouling blowing back on the cylinder face to find its way inside.
This fouling of the arbour happened with the originals, Colts have a grooved arbour designed to hold grease and later Colts had the cylinder bushed to overcome the fouling problems.
Short answer: grease and lots of it especially on the flat side of the arbour.
Graham M

#9 Post by Graham M »

Found this.......any thoughts ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbrJ95NapjY
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

Are there any rough spots on the arbor? I'd give it a bit of a polish with fine wire wool and lube up with some BSA gun grease.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."