First Time Section 7

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

First Time Section 7

#1 Post by 450 Martini »

Hi All
I am a long time Section 1 holder and i have just started getting into section 7.1 collecting and i have a few questions about the process from fellow collectors.
I have a been granted a slot for a .455 pistol as i have an interest in Webley service revolvers and the British Army of the Great War.

Can i bid for pre 1919 examples listed for auction by some of the bigger auction houses and if i win can i collect in person, or do i need to involve a section 5 dealer?
I know for 7.3 pistols have to be transported by a a Section 5 dealer to the approved site but the guidance does not mention transporting 7.1 from RFD to Home storage. Also do i have to get permission from my local licencing department to transport from a RFD to home storage?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: First Time Section 7

#2 Post by Mattnall »

I believe they are all S5 weapons when it comes to transporting.

If you have a spare slot I cannot see why you cannot collect from the auction house on buying it. Might be best to speak to the auction house in question before you commit to buying.
I might be wrong but as I see it you shouldn't need to tell anyone you are transporting it as you are allowed to have it in your possession, just don't stop at the motorway services and leave it on display or walk through the shops with it, might get a few eyebrows raised :o .
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by bnz41 »

Hi
Welcome to the world of section 7 we are 7.3 collectors our guns have to be transported by a section 5 dealer as you said. Give either of the dealers I have linked a message to ask about the pistol you want to purchase.

Both are very helpful.

https://www.cwclassicarms.co.uk/product ... ge-pistols

http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/section5.htm
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

7.1 can be transported by you. it would need to be entered onto your fac though.

I know a few 7.3 collectors that have done this with their webleys, buy as 7.1, take and leave at the heritage site range in secure storage, then apply to have it as sec 7.3 and then go and shoot it
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
PeterN

#5 Post by PeterN »

Am I right in thinking that if you change it from section 7.1 to 7.3, you can't change it back to 7.1?
Regards
Peter.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

no you aren't. if you no longer intend to shoot it, and it is eligble (IE not 9mm, 38/357, 44spl family) you can keep it at home under 7.1 again with a variation.

some people even have one 455 webley at home on 7.1 and have one at the club on 7.3 and have ammo permission for 455 webley and so roll their own at home. work that one out!
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

bradaz11 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:05 pm no you aren't. if you no longer intend to shoot it, and it is eligble (IE not 9mm, 38/357, 44spl family) you can keep it at home under 7.1 again with a variation.

some people even have one 455 webley at home on 7.1 and have one at the club on 7.3 and have ammo permission for 455 webley and so roll their own at home. work that one out!
Good for them :good: but doesn't that kind of defeat the whole point in the difference in sections?! lol
DVC
450 Martini

#8 Post by 450 Martini »

Thanks for all the replies it's all sorted now. I had a good chat with the auctioneers and they cleared everything up. You can transport 7.1 for legitimate purposes with the FAC it is listed on.
I had a punt a few days ago on a sealed bid auction for a 1917 Webley mark VI which is very close in serial number to my deactivated example. I was successful and i hope to pick it up next week after all the paperwork is done.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by bnz41 »

Excellent.

But I bet before too long you will want to shoot it, so think about 7.3 now as collecting live pistols is addictive. need pictures when you get it home.
450 Martini

#10 Post by 450 Martini »

I might think about 7.3 one day. I used to be a member of Wednesbury Marksman which is a great little club and a designated site. (i only left as keeping two clubs membership going as a student was a bit too expensive and I'm mainly interested in historic full bore service rifle shooting)
I have shot a few section 5 pistols under armourer supervision with blanks at living history events and for film work before which was interesting.