COVID Fixed Penalty Notices

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

COVID Fixed Penalty Notices

#1 Post by Polchraine »

When an application is made for an FAC or SGC you are asked for any convictions and need to list them all which, even though it might be a fixed penalty notice, speeding offences are included.

However, Fixed Penalty Notices for parking, littering and similar, are as far as I understand not required to be listed on an application.

What is the requirement for Covid FPNs? They are not shown on basic DBS checks - but may be on enhanced. There is no requirement to disclose them to employers and they will not normally casue any issues with US Visa Waivers (for example).

And no, I have not received any, even though along with the rest of my company we would often retire to the garden after work for cakes and wine!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Re: COVID Fixed Penalty Notices

#2 Post by johngarnett »

Have Johnson and Sunak applied for FAC or SGC? lollol :o :o :o

JohnG Cornwalldy
DL.

#3 Post by DL. »

Cakes and wine! You lucky barsteward!

My company gave me nothing for working through the lockdowns unless you count more antibac than you could shake a stick at and a box of disposable face masks two months after wearing them became mandatory!

When it comes to workplace garden parties I don't resent people for it if it's done in a reasonable manner.

To be honest I'm more concerned that off the back of the pandemic I've had a pay freeze and withholding of performance related pay whilst the cost of living has gone upwardly linear.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

Polchraine wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:29 pm When an application is made for an FAC or SGC you are asked for any convictions and need to list them all which, even though it might be a fixed penalty notice, speeding offences are included.

However, Fixed Penalty Notices for parking, littering and similar, are as far as I understand not required to be listed on an application.

What is the requirement for Covid FPNs? They are not shown on basic DBS checks - but may be on enhanced. There is no requirement to disclose them to employers and they will not normally casue any issues with US Visa Waivers (for example).

And no, I have not received any, even though along with the rest of my company we would often retire to the garden after work for cakes and wine!
Covid FPNs are not criminal convictions. I wouldn't trouble to mention them. I take my cue from BJ - broke his own laws at a time when he sorely needed to lead by example. Lied to Parliament. Lied to the police. Lied to the nation - many of whom were denied those precious moments to comfort a dying relative.
So my take from this is lying or misleading the police to serve your own interests is perfectly acceptable. That's coming from the top. The very seat of government.

And frankly these days I'm drawn to the conclusion that, save for a relatively small group of unfortunates that suffered from underlying health issues, most of the dead were dying anyway and just happened to also have Covid - or caught it on top. I'm betting more people died from NOT being able to have their postponed heart and cancer ops than from actual Covid only. The upheaval to our lives didn't warrant the entire world coming to a standstill.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

And, no, you DON'T have to mention fixed penalty notices for speeding. They are not convictions. You have the option to pay them or fight your case in court. Of course if you lose your case in court then it most likely will become a conviction. FPNs are a nice cosy way of avoiding people having their day in court thereby tying them up with all that justice malarkey and coppers having to testify etc. So as a trade off for not having to face all the trauma and expense of legal proceedings you can accept the FPN even if you believe you're innocent. And as a reward for not being a bothersome little citizen you avoid a conviction.
Polchraine

#6 Post by Polchraine »

Dark Skies wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:04 am And, no, you DON'T have to mention fixed penalty notices for speeding. They are not convictions. You have the option to pay them or fight your case in court. Of course if you lose your case in court then it most likely will become a conviction. FPNs are a nice cosy way of avoiding people having their day in court thereby tying them up with all that justice malarkey and coppers having to testify etc. So as a trade off for not having to face all the trauma and expense of legal proceedings you can accept the FPN even if you believe you're innocent. And as a reward for not being a bothersome little citizen you avoid a conviction.

Please tell the Met Police about speeding FPNs ... They require them to be shown, even when 20+ years old!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

I put them all on there regardless. Two for speeding and the CO did me for 350 quid when I crashed a car into a bridge! That was in 1990.

I put the same three on my vetting forms as well. The dates are no doubt well out and probably fluctuate each time a form of one description or another is submitted for whatever reason. But, it’s always the three. What you don’t want is them coming back to with “Why didn’t you mention this? What else have you not mentioned?” That’s when it gets sticky…

If there’s been an official interaction with some sanction or another, declare it, would be my advice. There will no doubt be a record of it somewhere.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Polchraine wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:20 am
Please tell the Met Police about speeding FPNs ... They require them to be shown, even when 20+ years old!
Well, it's the MET. The worst force in the UK for dodgy coppers expects to hold ordinary citizens to a higher standard than themselves. That's irony, that is.
Fortunately it's not something I need to worry about. I passed my test in 1982 and have never had so much as a parking ticket. Nor has anybody had to make a claim against me.
Attachments
driver.jpg
driver.jpg (7.97 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Polchraine

#9 Post by Polchraine »

Dark Skies wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:43 am
Polchraine wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:20 am
Well, it's the MET. The worst force in the UK for dodgy coppers expects to hold ordinary citizens to a higher standard than themselves. That's irony, that is.
Fortunately it's not something I need to worry about. I passed my test in 1982 and have never had so much as a parking ticket. Nor has anybody had to make a claim against me.

The MET FEOs are normally very good and response times, for me, well within teh guidelines. On my last one, submitted just over 8 weeks before, visit after 3-4 weeks, and three or for days before I met Cressida Dick, new FAC & SGC arrived that day! Three weeks before expiry of teh old one.

Just they have a few quirks - such as asking for speeding FPNs, will only accept submissions electronically or by Royal Mail with NO personal or courier deliveries.

I have just one FPN from 2019/20 - 43 in a 40 limit!

- Abraham Lincoln

Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

I got fined for having no "L" plates on my motorbike way back in the 60s but I still put that on my renewals form, because they already know about it and may just ask why I have omitted it this time around.
It takes no time to enter it onto your renewal form so why risk leaving it off.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.