Accuracy Of Vintage Rimfires ?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

lincolnjeffries
Home club or Range: none

Accuracy Of Vintage Rimfires ?

#1 Post by lincolnjeffries »

I would really love to see a review on the accuracy of all those unwanted vintage rimfires, virtualy unsaleable and gathering dust on the shelves. Stuff like the Bsa Sportsmans, Brno Model 1's, Mauser .22's, Anschutz's, Browning SA's and all the Winchesters and Remingtons.
My old 85 year old Mauser Mm410b is a tack driver. I like plastic and stainless guns too, but is it really necessary to spend an arm and a leg on cost engineered modern rifles for sporting use, rather than an old classic for £25. Might even generate some interest in gismos like a non gunsmithing scope mounting system for the Bsa Sportsman, which is a lovely handling rifle.
Fenix1

Re: Accuracy Of Vintage Rimfires ?

#2 Post by Fenix1 »

Depends what you want it for. I had a CZ semi auto and it was pretty good, but spare mags cost more than the gun if you can find them, and limited capacity. Probably replacing it with a M&P 15-22 or similar.

But I also want a target rifle. Going to scratch that itch with a BSA Martini International, mainly because the club one I s*** had an incredible trigger and accuracy. Not going to enter any comps with it, possibly informal bench rest.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

Martini Internationals are Very good for accuracy - a few of our members use them to good effect in benchrest competitions - For non Gunsmithing Scope Mounts, I know David - Ovenpaa - Shooting Shed Has made some for the BSA Pattern.

I shoot a 1984 Olympic Anschutz Rifle for my Benchrest competitions, I haven't seen anything shoot better yet! Although these are hard to come by!

I'd be interested in seeing more of the older stuff and how it shoots verses the modern day manufacture!
andrew375

#4 Post by andrew375 »

Many years ago I was regularly using a Bonhill Martini Henry conversion and averaging in the high 80's at 50 and 100 yards.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Dr. Strangelove

#5 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Fenix1 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:23 pm But I also want a target rifle. Going to scratch that itch with a BSA Martini International, mainly because the club one I s*** had an incredible trigger and accuracy. Not going to enter any comps with it, possibly informal bench rest.
I’m tempted by a Martini International as well. I’ve seen a few with the barrel cut down to just in front of the forend with a mod attached. Suspect they’d be very handy for pest control if you can get around single loading.

I don’t think David has any of the Pic mounts in stock anymore - looks like they were done as a batch.
lincolnjeffries
Home club or Range: none

#6 Post by lincolnjeffries »

Fortunately rimfire bores generally are in good shape
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

I had a Remington Model 37 a few years ago, and it was a superb rifle. I px'd it for one of my Anschutz Match 54's, but there really wasn't any difference apart from the fact that I could still get parts for the Annie if I ever needed them.
I only shoot .22LR stuff these days, and I've had a lot of old rifles. Most of them have been excellent, so I'd have no worries about buying another vintage rifle if one came along that I liked the look of. :good:
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#8 Post by redcat »

Accuracy is also dependant on who's pulling the trigger. For an impressive feat of accuracy check out Ad Topperwein's exhibition in Texas in December 1907.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Graham M

#9 Post by Graham M »

BSA's were just as good as Anschutz and even better steel. The only reason they became unpopular was because they weren't adjustable like the Annie and looked old fashioned.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

When the Anschutz rifle first emerged they were popular being bolt action and having gegaws you could add.

However many shooters had their rifles re-barreled with BSA International barrels.

I have quiet a collection of old .22s and if in good condition give up nothing in the accuracy department to modern guns, they also tend to respond better to the better quality ammunition.

The BSA sportmans bolt action range is a much neglected and underestimated series of rifles. They excellent field guns and I have done well in off hand competitions with a Sportsman Five fitted with an aperture rear sight.

The BSA Century is one of the best club target guns ever made and again much under estimated.

All this of course good news for those few of us that appreciate their qualities as with little demand bargains abound.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/