Mauser scope

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

Mauser scope

#1 Post by steve853 »

Hi everyone
I have had my Mauser re barrel completed now and I was thinking about putting a scope on it. The rifle shoots well but my eyes are terrible!
Can anyone recommend a scope/ mount setup that doesn’t involve drilling and tapping holes in the receiver? Looks like there’s a few around, so I’m just wondering what works and what doesn’t?

Regards
Steve
England Prevails
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Mauser scope

#2 Post by GeeRam »

Which type of Mauser?
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Assuming that you have a K98 or Gew98 or similar other country Mauser variant, afraid you will be stuck with a scout type mount if you don`t want to drill, this involves removing the rear sight and replacing it with a purpose made scount mount with attached rail ( plenty around and on ebay) that fit as a direct replacement allowing you to fit a scope, they do the job but don`t look right, If you don`t have a valuable collectors piece then I would consider drill and tap there are various reproductions available.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Additional information
If you opt for the scout rear sight conversion mount you will also require a long eye relief scope, this precludes the use or any type of normal scope.
Not really sure but the only long eye relief scopes I have seen do not have zoom or magnification values of normal scopes.
Also you are limited by the quality and manufacturers of this type of scope.
Good luck with your scoping exercise
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

steve853 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:58 pm Hi everyone
I have had my Mauser re barrel completed now and I was thinking about putting a scope on it. The rifle shoots well but my eyes are terrible!
Can anyone recommend a scope/ mount setup that doesn’t involve drilling and tapping holes in the receiver? Looks like there’s a few around, so I’m just wondering what works and what doesn’t?

Regards
Steve
If this is a Milsurp rifle it is no longer original if its been re barreled. If you have had it re barreled why did you not get the Gunsmith to drill and tap the receiver for mounts. If the smith was getting paid for a re barrel the cost of drilling and tapping the receiver would of been small change.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

If you do a Google search there are lots of them but mainly in the USA and yes you will need a long eye relief pistol scope. The long eye relief pistol scopes are not ideal at any kind of long distance shooting. I have one fitted to my long barrel .22 pistol its ideal for that set up. I originally had it on a Mosin Nagant long rifle with a Darell mount I think that was the name of the Guy that made them but I may be wrong it was a life time ago the mount replaced the original back sight.
I sold the mount to Adam (Dromia) many years ago.
gashtyke

#7 Post by gashtyke »

I have a Bad-Ace mount for my K98, it is a cantilever design so a normal rifle scope can be used.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by GeeRam »

gashtyke wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:11 am I have a Bad-Ace mount for my K98, it is a cantilever design so a normal rifle scope can be used.
That's looks like a good option goodjob

https://www.badacetactical.com/collecti ... tinny-rail
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#9 Post by ukrifleman »

Before you shell out for a scope and mount, have you considered EyePal?

I use EyePal on my shooting glasses and it definitely improves my sight picture (I am long sighted)

https://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/eyepal- ... 3d1a03baaf
PeterN

#10 Post by PeterN »

I can vouch for the Eyepal. I got one and it sharpened up the back sight a lot. It made using iron sights much easier and I am the wrong side of 70.
Regards
Peter.