HSE report and consultation on lead in ammunition

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

Re: HSE report and consultation on lead in ammunition

#11 Post by jmc67 »

Pete wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:56 pm The information on lead contamination from Wild Justice has been in the public domain for longer than Wild Justice has been around.
Lead shot is known to poison wildfowl and other species by ingestion........not biased information, simply a fact.

Pete
The HSE report though links to a Wild Justice report on samples they prepared and had tested themselves - https://wildjustice.org.uk/lead-ammunit ... s-shelves/

I'm not questioning that lead shot can poison by ingestion (as can many things depending on level of dose), just the validity of the source of the data being referred to by the HSE report. Happy to read a peer reviewed scientific article showing how the sampling and testing was done if one is available.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

I wonder how many pre 1970 built houses and offices still have some lead pipes in their drinking water system…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#13 Post by millemigliadave »

Sim G wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:28 pm I wonder how many pre 1970 built houses and offices still have some lead pipes in their drinking water system…
I grew up in a council house that had lead pipework; when my father questioned the council re. any health risk I understand that the answer was that they were perfectly safe if left alone, although they would be replaced over time. It was a hard water area so I guess the inside of the pipes would be lined with calcium deposit.
artiglio

#14 Post by artiglio »

Les wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:42 am I wonder how many authorised athletes, etc, will still be able to shoot once all the ranges have closed due to a lack of customers? 5mith
Likewise what if any participation in international competition will shooters be able to participate in? Will overseas shooters still come here if they have to persuade their ranges to allow the use of lead free ammo to practice and develop loads etc in order to shoot here. Also what chance do UK shooters have of being competitive overseas unless other ranges/ governing bodies allow the use of non lead bullets? Smallbore could be less affected but how many indoor 50/100 ranges are there?
PeterN

#15 Post by PeterN »

I have a friend who has lived in three different houses during his life. All three had the water supplied through lead pipes in a soft water area. He has also been shooting on an indoor 20 yard range using .22RF since 1975 and outdoor rifle shooting and clay pigeon shooting. He has cast his own lead bullets for many years. He is 80 years old and in fine health.
We are told that birds ingesting lead shot is not good for their health. What does ingesting bismouth or steel shot do to a bird's health? Is there any data on that?
Oh dear! I have just realised I have been exposed to lead today. I fired 30 shots from my .44 muzzle loading revolver and handled all the balls with my bare hands. I also breathed in a bit of the smoke from the black powder. Should I worry about my health?
Regards
Peter.
MistAgain

#16 Post by MistAgain »

Sim G wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:28 pm I wonder how many pre 1970 built houses and offices still have some lead pipes in their drinking water system…
Lets not forget lead paint was not banned in the UK till 1992 !
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#17 Post by waterford103 »

Lead in petrol ,not banned until fairly recent .
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#18 Post by bradaz11 »

lead on roofs and guttering affecting the water there too? think of the birdies sat on it
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by Pete »

This is worth a read if you're interested in the pathology that appears to be driving this HSE campaign:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... mation.pdf

And this:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/en ... solubility

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#20 Post by dodgyrog »

This is NOT an attack on lead! This is an attack on shooting.
The end of our sport approaches I'm afraid!
Corrupt Government.
Corrupt Establishment.
Corrupt Police.
Hard to win against those odds.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.