HSE report and consultation on lead in ammunition

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

Re: HSE report and consultation on lead in ammunition

#41 Post by Airbrush »

Graham M wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:57 pm At the moment I have gotten myself involved on another forum in which some of the more vociferous members are demanding that the lead ban apply to all.
The argument being "If we have to use steel for our game/clay shooting then it must also apply to target shooters as well".
I tried to explain that .22 prone rifle type shooting couldn't work without lead as there simply isn't an alternative that would be anywhere NEAR as accurate, and that we would be throwing rounds downrange and hoping to get somewhere near the middle.
The reaction to this was to imply that target shooters were trying to make themselves "More equal than the rest of us.
And then the usual insults began.
No wonder we get shafted when we can't even sing from the same song sheet.
Fudds bleating.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#42 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
All this said, it seems like a very apt time to stock up on my FMJ holdings just in case, and also hedge my bets on the imminent price rises.
Graham M

#43 Post by Graham M »

Oh don't get me started Simon. As for the thread on there...it's descended into a bare knuckle fight so I ain't getting involved anymore.
Why is it that people just can't sit down and discuss something as important as this in a rational manner wallhead
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#44 Post by Sim G »

After over 30 years working in the criminal justice system, I can say categorically that “people” are generally anything but rational…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#45 Post by Blackstuff »

Graham M wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:10 pm Oh don't get me started Simon. As for the thread on there...it's descended into a bare knuckle fight so I ain't getting involved anymore.
Why is it that people just can't sit down and discuss something as important as this in a rational manner wallhead
So was it Pigeon Watch or AirgunsBBS lol
DVC
Graham M

#46 Post by Graham M »

Haven't been on Airgun BS for over 20 years. Not since I challenged them to their claims that they could all put up 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with a BRNO .22 and hunting ammo'.
I was almost flayed alive by the response most of which was aimed at my own lack of skill.
We put an Anschutz match rifle into a rifle vice that was designed to hold a rifle whilst testing it; much like the ones used at Eley. We shot 10 shot groups using several batches of Tenex and managed to get some of them into a 1/2 inch group, but not all of the batches, due to some of them not suiting the rifle.
I can get my Sako Finnfire to group into an inch with Tenex shooting off a rest (sometimes if I ain't shaking) lol But using Winchester or Eley HP subs I could barely manage 3 inches.
No wonder they call it Airgun Bulletin Bull Sheet.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#47 Post by hitchphil »

Mauserbill wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:22 pm Hello
All this said, it seems like a very apt time to stock up on my FMJ holdings just in case, and also hedge my bets on the imminent price rises.
Er i think you missed the boat on that - bullets & primers are incredibly difficult to get & have near doubled in price, if not more for primers.

Ammo is on the move - Nato has been found wanting & unprepared with insufficient stocks & training for any Russian threat. So they are catching up, all the NATO front line countries are stocking up for training & war & 2nd line reserve - thats depleted deep reserves, the NATO & European suppliers & manufacturers of bullets & primers even powder cant keep up, there is incapacity caused by lack of orders for years from many NATO countries especially European ones! thats in addition to direct supply to Ukraine. Then the Americans all stocked up on the civ market after yet another school shooting & that emptied many retailers in USA Canada too!

Sierra bullets are heading for +70p vs 36, primers are 10-12p vs 4, powder is £100+Kg vs £60-70. reloaded manufactured ammo £120-£1.50 bang & new similar.
Be prepared for further increases in this & next year. Then well the lead ban will have effect too.............
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Site Supporter Since 2015

#48 Post by 1066 »

Graham M wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:24 am Haven't been on Airgun BS for over 20 years. Not since I challenged them to their claims that they could all put up 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with a BRNO .22 and hunting ammo'.
I was almost flayed alive by the response most of which was aimed at my own lack of skill.
We put an Anschutz match rifle into a rifle vice that was designed to hold a rifle whilst testing it; much like the ones used at Eley. We shot 10 shot groups using several batches of Tenex and managed to get some of them into a 1/2 inch group, but not all of the batches, due to some of them not suiting the rifle.
I can get my Sako Finnfire to group into an inch with Tenex shooting off a rest (sometimes if I ain't shaking) lol But using Winchester or Eley HP subs I could barely manage 3 inches.
No wonder they call it Airgun Bulletin Bull Sheet.
:D :D :D I've been here myself several times - The "my CZ shoots 1" groups all day long" brigade make me laugh. Fine if you shoot a three shot group then discount the cold barrel shot and the one you pulled. :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#49 Post by Mauserbill »

hitchphil wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:41 am
Mauserbill wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:22 pm Hello
Er i think you missed the boat on that - bullets & primers are incredibly difficult to get & have near doubled in price, if not more for primers.

Ammo is on the move - Nato has been found wanting & unprepared with insufficient stocks & training for any Russian threat. So they are catching up, all the NATO front line countries are stocking up for training & war & 2nd line reserve - thats depleted deep reserves, the NATO & European suppliers & manufacturers of bullets & primers even powder cant keep up, there is incapacity caused by lack of orders for years from many NATO countries especially European ones! thats in addition to direct supply to Ukraine. Then the Americans all stocked up on the civ market after yet another school shooting & that emptied many retailers in USA Canada too!

Sierra bullets are heading for +70p vs 36, primers are 10-12p vs 4, powder is £100+Kg vs £60-70. reloaded manufactured ammo £120-£1.50 bang & new similar.
Be prepared for further increases in this & next year. Then well the lead ban will have effect too.............
Hello
It`s never too late to increase stock holdings, as you say " Be prepared for further increases in this & next year. Then well the lead ban will have effect too............."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#50 Post by Sim G »

You want to ask clay and game shooters what they’ll do when shotguns go on section 1?! “Good reason” needed for everyone and can you imagine the size of the ammo cabinet needed just for 1000 12 gauge?

Oh they’ll be bleating for the support of “target shooters” then!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!