Swing bolt

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Swing bolt

#1 Post by shugie »

I know that I'm not the only Swing owner here, I've managed to get my bolt end cap off and want to remove the firing pin to do a bit of cleaning. Anyone know how the cocking pin is held in? That needs to be removed before the bolt innards can be extracted. I don't want to apply any great amount of force and b****er it up.
Careful now/that sort of thing
The Gun Pimp

Re: Swing bolt

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I think it's just a push fit - like on a Savage bolt
mpblytma
Home club or Range: TNHR

#3 Post by mpblytma »

Interested to know if that works. I should really give mine a clean at some point!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

Inside the bolt body there's a sleeve with a slot in it. This sleeve retains the sear pin. After unscrewing the end cap, winkle the sleeve out using a bit of stiff wire, take out the sear pin and withdraw the firing pin assy.

The innards will look similar to this, although you may have Belleville washers instead of the springs. Reassemble in reverse order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_rif ... mbled..jpg

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
shugie
Past Supporter

#5 Post by shugie »

I think my bolt is a little different, the sleeve seems to have an end cap on it. The sear pin seems to be very firmly affixed into the firing pin, in this blurred picture it looks like the pin has a larger diameter where it goes into the firing pin, and the sleeve normally holds it in place, but I can't persuade it to shift. Can anyone with a similar Swing bolt check for me to see if that sear pin is free to rotate or not?

It's been in there a long time, and shows no enthusiasm for being removed.
Attachments
bolt innards.jpg
The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

The pin doesn't rotate - it has flats on the side if I remember - and it will therefore go in two ways.
Pete
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Pete »

Now that it's sat in the circular cutout in the sleeve, it should just pull out. The shoulder is wider than the slot, but a fraction smaller than the circular cutout, so when the spring is in and the cap is screwed on, the pin is moved into and located by the slot, so it can't fall out.

Mine didn't have flats on it.......

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
shugie
Past Supporter

#8 Post by shugie »

I reckon it's stuck in the hole in the firing pin assembly, certainly shows no sign of wanting pull out when the hole is aligned. Not much to grip on, and I don't want to mangle it.
Pete
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Pete »

It should be a loose fit..........PlusGas, a hot air gun, and a pair of pliers? It's hardened.

Pete
shugie
Past Supporter

#10 Post by shugie »

The pin is round, and was held quite firmly in the far side of the firing pin, but it's now out and all is clean and shiny. Only one spring though, despite the picture showing two.

I'm glad I got it apart, decades of crap lurking in there, thankfully no corrosion though.

And reassembly is not the reverse of disassembly, the end cap was loose when removed, but something needs to be compressed to get it back on.