38 special in an 1873

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
MetalMagus
Home club or Range: Oop Norf....on a need to know basis

38 special in an 1873

#1 Post by MetalMagus »

Hi,
Just bought an Uberti 1873 in 357. Wanted to gather opinion / people's experience of using 38 special rounds in them. I'm interested in finding out if they feed reliably given that they are a shorter overall round.

Thanks

Sean
lapua338

Re: 38 special in an 1873

#2 Post by lapua338 »

I much prefer the .38 Special cartridge in my 1873 Competition Rifle.

The rounds feed much easier with the shorter overall cartridge length.
jimbo303

#3 Post by jimbo303 »

When I got my Uberti 1873 I bought a batch of 38 Special and 357. Both cycled absolutely fine.
I guess some of the choice depends on what you want to use it for. I found the 38 Special was a bit tame, so I swapped the remainder for 357 back at the Dealer. I now solely use 357 and reload my own so I can have a heavier load for longer distance.
It's a personal choice entirely.

Enjoy the rifle - they are cracking pieces and I really enjoy using mine.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Moved to correct forum.
Future mis-posts will be removed.
If in doubt ask.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
MetalMagus

#5 Post by MetalMagus »

Thanks for the info gents. Good to know that either feeds fine. I think I will try both and see which I prefer. Will eventually reload my own. But factory ammo for now until I get a little use of it.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum. Plumped for everything shooting, didn't associate it with reloading and ammo. But on thinking on it, it becomes obvious.

Cheers

Sean
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

I've just done some testing in mine, same components, and various loadings, in both 38 and 357 cases each time i found the 38 to be less accurate than the one in the 357 case, so for that reason I'll be doing all my loads in 357 cases.
Be careful with 357 though, my first dummy i made up that was in the crimp groove of the bullet would not cycle in the rifle as it was too long, so some factory 357 may not fit your gun. Also i wouldn't want to use full poke 357 in it anyway
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
MetalMagus

#7 Post by MetalMagus »

Thanks for the info.
I have some Magtech "Cowboy" ammo in both 357 and 38 to try. See which one works best. I'm a little way off reloading my own yet. But, will get there.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#8 Post by redcat »

The 1873 Winchester has a built in gauge to check for oversize cartridges. Open the lever, turn the rifle upside down and drop the cartridge into the elevator slot. If it won't go in it's too long.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
MetalMagus

#9 Post by MetalMagus »

Good to know Redcat.

Thanks
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#10 Post by Vossie »

redcat wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:23 pm The 1873 Winchester has a built in gauge to check for oversize cartridges. Open the lever, turn the rifle upside down and drop the cartridge into the elevator slot. If it won't go in it's too long.

Redcat
Get tip thankssign