RCBS Powder measure baffle.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
PeterN

Re: RCBS Powder measure baffle.

#11 Post by PeterN »

I use a Hornady powder measure that I have had for over 30 years. It is the only powder measure I have used. It has never been any trouble. It can sometimes bind a little on a charge but nothing to bother about. It gets a clean every so often and always dumps the charge in the pan. I have never used a powder baffle.
Regards
Peter.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#12 Post by shoppe »

Forget the toffee hammer! Just let the powder settle by itself. You do your bit by making sure you keep to the exactly the same rhythm or movement each time.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

I dont trust it any more no way would I drop a charge into a case I drop them into a glass sample jar then dump them in the scale pan. Its not consistent may be its worn out Its probaly 30 years old. I have rwo of them I will try the other one with the same powder.
I will be sticking with the toffee hammer. Any way I am finished re loading for now. Range on Saturday so I will have some more empty cases next week to play with.
PeterN

#14 Post by PeterN »

I drop the charge straight in to the scale pan and then on to the scale and weigh it. A quick adjustment with the trickler to bring the scale to zero and then in to the case. I would not put a charge from the powder measure straight in to a case without weighing it first just for my own peace of mind. There is usually a little bit of variation that needs correcting. I am only loading 50 rounds or so at a time, it is not as if I am trying to make 250 rounds of pistol ammo in an hour so the time taken to weigh each charge is not a problem.
Regards
Peter.
Alpha1

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

PeterN wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:12 pm I drop the charge straight in to the scale pan and then on to the scale and weigh it. A quick adjustment with the trickler to bring the scale to zero and then in to the case. I would not put a charge from the powder measure straight in to a case without weighing it first just for my own peace of mind. There is usually a little bit of variation that needs correcting. I am only loading 50 rounds or so at a time, it is not as if I am trying to make 250 rounds of pistol ammo in an hour so the time taken to weigh each charge is not a problem.
Regards
Peter.
My regime is more or less the same as yours I don't reload huge amounts of ammo at any one go any more all though I do handload for quite a few different calibers. I usually load 50 at a push may be 100. Once I have dumped the charge in the pan I use the Auto trickler I bought from 1066 many years ago and it still works perfectly to bring the charge up to the correct weight. I did recently fit this powder dispenser with the RCBS micrometer adjuster stem. It was second hand may be that is the issue.
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

lollol The powder baffles arrived to day there is not a lot to them. I will try them and see how it goes.
I also received a set of the Lee dippers I am thinking to use a dipper to dump the bulk of the charge in the pan then use the auto trickler to trickle up to the desired charge weight.

While I was at it browsing Henry Kranks web site I thought what the heck I am not a fan of Lee stuff but its not a lot of money and it keeps me out of mischief so I bought the Lee Powder measure stand and a Lee Deluxe perfect powder measure.
Lets see how perfect it actually is.
All ready had an issue trying to get the measuring drop tube to 4 it jams at the 3 mark. Oh well here we go fun time. Another toy to play with. lollol

teanews hmm whats next. Not really sure.
shoppe

#17 Post by shoppe »

I have that lee powder measure and it is very good and very very consistent. I have fitted the quick change drum kit. I never used the adjustable measuring tube so I cannot comment on it . There is certainly nothing wrong with the measure using the drum kit.
As with all powder measures, keeping to the same technique is the secret. I use vit 133 and vit 140 powders
rox

#18 Post by rox »

This document has templates for making baffles in over 30 different sizes, each with 3 flow rates.

https://www.shootersforum.com/attachmen ... -pdf.7053/

Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

I have ordered a drum kit we will see how it performs once the drums turn up.
shoppe

#20 Post by shoppe »

The measure also is that bit more consistent when screwed to the bench or clamped down.