22LR rifle choice

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

clleeyip

Re: 22LR rifle choice

#11 Post by clleeyip »

Fenix1 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:38 pm Its easier if you initially fit in with what the club shoots, once you are up and running look at what other clubs offer. You will not make many friends if you rock up to a .22 TR club with a 25 round .22 AR15 and start doing high speed minirifle type shooting, equally a single shot .22 isnt going to be much fun on a range setup for semi autos. I currently shoot a .22 Ar15 type thing and a .22 long barrelled pistol, obviously for high speed stuff. At some point I would like to add a .22 target rifle and do some benchrest with it, to do that I will probably join another local club as they are more skilled in that kind of shooting and will help me improve. If you buy 2nd hand .22s are pretty even some really good target rifles, also a checkout what people are selling at the club.
interesting,

what is you though of using a practical mini rifle for LSR.
I am member of my local club, they shoot both LSR, Match rifle, LBR/LBP but no practical shooting.
I have ask to be probation member for another club that do practical shooting, their induction wont start later this year and their probation period is 6 month minimum. Thus, I am thinking a practical mini rifle to do both practical shooting and LSR (for economical reason)
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#12 Post by Airbrush »

Fenix1 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:38 pm Its easier if you initially fit in with what the club shoots, once you are up and running look at what other clubs offer. You will not make many friends if you rock up to a .22 TR club with a 25 round .22 AR15 and start doing high speed minirifle type shooting, equally a single shot .22 isnt going to be much fun on a range setup for semi autos. I currently shoot a .22 Ar15 type thing and a .22 long barrelled pistol, obviously for high speed stuff. At some point I would like to add a .22 target rifle and do some benchrest with it, to do that I will probably join another local club as they are more skilled in that kind of shooting and will help me improve. If you buy 2nd hand .22s are pretty even some really good target rifles, also a checkout what people are selling at the club.
When I joined my old club years ago & rocked up with a .22 AR I had a few funny looks & comments, after a few would you like a go’s guess what, a fair few members got one & most new members want one.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#13 Post by DaveB »

I just got a Bergara HMR B14R.

A bit too heavy for all disciplines in the steel barrel version, but the carbon fibre barrel would be an option. I understand the carbon fibre barrel is just a tiny bit less precise than the steel barrel (which is why I bought the steel barrel) but the difference is very small I am told, and the lightne3ss would probably be useful, based on what you want it for.
Fenix1

#14 Post by Fenix1 »

clleeyip wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:08 pm
interesting,

what is you though of using a practical mini rifle for LSR.
I am member of my local club, they shoot both LSR, Match rifle, LBR/LBP but no practical shooting.
I have ask to be probation member for another club that do practical shooting, their induction wont start later this year and their probation period is 6 month minimum. Thus, I am thinking a practical mini rifle to do both practical shooting and LSR (for economical reason)
Depends if you want to seriously compete or just compete against yourself. I shot with a bloke with a very tricked up Ruger 10-22 last week, had very little Ruger left on it but was seriously accurate (for a semi auto). It would be my choice for LSR, but would be seriously spendy to build, possibly a bit limited if you wan to mount additional optics and options compared to an Ar15 alike. Th club I am probationing with shoots a huge range of stuff, loads of LBP, semis autos, target rifles, Cowboy action shooting, BP rifles and BP pistols etc. But if I wanted to shoot dedicated .22 target rifle I would join a different club.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

Fenix1 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:48 pm Depends if you want to seriously compete or just compete against yourself. I shot with a bloke with a very tricked up Ruger 10-22 last week, had very little Ruger left on it but was seriously accurate (for a semi auto). It would be my choice for LSR, but would be seriously spendy to build, possibly a bit limited if you wan to mount additional optics and options compared to an Ar15 alike.
If you go on YouTube and find the videos Silverstone shooting club posted (they were also on live tv) of their mini rifle competition, a guy in that shot a 10-22 modified to the point of being able to compete. And he did very well from memory.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:22 am
Fenix1 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:48 pm Depends if you want to seriously compete or just compete against yourself. I shot with a bloke with a very tricked up Ruger 10-22 last week, had very little Ruger left on it but was seriously accurate (for a semi auto). It would be my choice for LSR, but would be seriously spendy to build, possibly a bit limited if you wan to mount additional optics and options compared to an Ar15 alike.
If you go on YouTube and find the videos Silverstone shooting club posted (they were also on live tv) of their mini rifle competition, a guy in that shot a 10-22 modified to the point of being able to compete. And he did very well from memory.
Until very recently the guy that won their league last year was using a 10/22 :good:
DVC
clleeyip

#17 Post by clleeyip »

Fenix1 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:48 pm Depends if you want to seriously compete or just compete against yourself. I shot with a bloke with a very tricked up Ruger 10-22 last week, had very little Ruger left on it but was seriously accurate (for a semi auto). It would be my choice for LSR, but would be seriously spendy to build, possibly a bit limited if you wan to mount additional optics and options compared to an Ar15 alike. Th club I am probationing with shoots a huge range of stuff, loads of LBP, semis autos, target rifles, Cowboy action shooting, BP rifles and BP pistols etc. But if I wanted to shoot dedicated .22 target rifle I would join a different club.
I am only doing LSR for fun, this range could shoot .22 up to 100 yards. I am using it for practice

I am serious about completing in practical mini rifle, after reading your post I am bit worry showing in my local range with an AR platform or Vector and shooting LSR
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

I wouldn't 'worry' about it, unless there's a dinosaur running the club the worst you'll get is a bit of ribbing from some and curiosity from others.
DVC
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#19 Post by Mattnall »

Blackstuff wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:22 am .... unless there's a dinosaur running the club ....
Unfortunately there are many clubs run by dinosaurs.
Many times I have spoken to club officials and I am regularly shocked by their blinkered view and narrow outlook when it comes to the shooting sports - youngsters, fast-firing rifles, basically anything not .22 prone target rifle is frowned upon and to be discouraged at the least, banned in many cases.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#20 Post by Dark Skies »

clleeyip wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:11 am
Fenix1 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:48 pm Depends if you want to seriously compete or just compete against yourself. I shot with a bloke with a very tricked up Ruger 10-22 last week, had very little Ruger left on it but was seriously accurate (for a semi auto). It would be my choice for LSR, but would be seriously spendy to build, possibly a bit limited if you wan to mount additional optics and options compared to an Ar15 alike. Th club I am probationing with shoots a huge range of stuff, loads of LBP, semis autos, target rifles, Cowboy action shooting, BP rifles and BP pistols etc. But if I wanted to shoot dedicated .22 target rifle I would join a different club.
I am only doing LSR for fun, this range could shoot .22 up to 100 yards. I am using it for practice

I am serious about completing in practical mini rifle, after reading your post I am bit worry showing in my local range with an AR platform or Vector and shooting LSR
I really think you ought to consider the Ruger 10/22
at 25 yards you can tatter a V bull.
I was shooting mine yesterday at a range of 100 yards using Winchester subsonics (it's an outdoor range our club has access to and subs are required so's not to disturb nearby dog walkers.
I'm using a standard Ruger action with a TSR 100 military type sight set up. In an M1 alike stock I shot this target. The centre is 6 1/2 inches across.
At that distance I run out of adjustable elevation and have to aim at the top of target to allow for the drop (I'd sooner use cci minimags but can't as per above).
My fore sight completly blocks out the target. Yet I am pleased with the results of essentially plinking.
Imagine how much you could improve on that with a telescopic sight.
Attachments
Ruger.jpg
photo_2022-07-26_13-47-49.jpg
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."