Replacement rifle stock manufacturer?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

James84

Replacement rifle stock manufacturer?

#1 Post by James84 »

Hi all, does anyone know or can someone recommend someone who is able to copy a military rifle stock? I have an old German rifle with a split stock and would like to get it shooting again so a replacement stock would be ideal
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Replacement rifle stock manufacturer?

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Lezek Foks reproduction military rifle stock base in Poland will export, they produce excellent rifle stocks for a various range of WW1 WW2 rifles.
Not cheap but you always pay for quality.
http://fox-military.com/en/
Last time I looked on ebay German k98 stocks were selling for average £250.00 plus postage
James84

#3 Post by James84 »

What brilliant looking products! Unfortunately I'm after a Mauser 71 stock and the earliest he does is a G88 :(

Thank you though. I've emailed to see if they know of anyone who might make one (even though the site says not to ask for models not listed, so I don't expect a reply)
Mauserbill

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Whoa, you may have some difficulty in locating a 71 stock unless you are very very lucky, I have seen such stocks advertised in the USA but the Yankies will not even consider any type of exports. even eBay sales are closing down.
You say that your present stock is split, but how bad is it, as repairs can usually be successfully completed, unless its really really bad.
Go on youtube and see rifle stock repairs, one guy to look for is Larry Potterfield he does amazing stock repair work.
James84

#5 Post by James84 »

Yeah... I'm struggling to find anything for the 71 or 71/84. I have two 71/84s, one I've put for sale on here and the other also has a split in the stock. It's pretty bad on both. On the 71 it is straight down the wrist from tang to trigger guard. I've repaired Martinis and Mosins before with Larry's method, drilling, filling with a dowel and and glue with great success, but this is pretty bad...

The 71/84 (I'd also like a stock for this one) is near-mint. Honestly, the condition and bore leads me to think it saw minimal use. All metalwork is pretty much new, however the whole left side of the stock is split. The tang is fine but there is a crack that stems from the magazine cut off switch all the way to the lower barrel band. It might actually be fine to shoot it, as it looks as though a previous owner glued it up properly, however if I can get a repro stock to use for shooting and keep this one for display/Collector value, that would be amazing.
Mauserbill

#6 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Sorry I have looked at all my obsolete parts locations and haunts with no luck i am afraid.
Did find a really nice Mauser 71/84 at Arron Wheelers in Huddersfield but he wants £1200 so I beat a hasty retreat from that.
Good luck with your search.
James84

#7 Post by James84 »

Thank you very much. I think finding someone who can make a replacement is the only option...

I also saw the one at Aaron wheeler and noticed it has a mismatched bolt. Similar prices to be seen at the likes of King Shilling antiques and that one has had the stock sanded down...
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by GeeRam »

Gibbs Rifle Company in the USA made a big batch of repro 71/84 stocks for the film Last Samurai, and I've seen them turn up for sale on some of the US forums, in recent years, but with ITAR it won't be easy to get one over here if you do find one for sale. Still worth keeping a look out on USA sites though.
I'm sure that place in Poland would make some up if they were given an original as a template etc.
Or contact Gibbs to see if they would make some more?
James84

#9 Post by James84 »

Ah yes I did read that but couldn't for the life of me find Gibbs Rifle Co's contact details. Are they still trading?

I'll see if the place in Poland respond and I've sent an email to Gary Cane Gunstocks here in the UK.

I don't think that these are subject to ITAR as they are an antique in US law, so not a FFL item so if I can find one, I'm almost certain they can post it over (I've had Springfield Trapdoor parts of the same vintage posted with no ITAR issues)
James84

#10 Post by James84 »

Well, believe it or not, I've sourced a Mauser 71 stock. I found this brilliant site in Germany by searching for 'Mauser 71 schaft'

https://www.guns-and-more.com/Ersatztei ... G71-71-84/

Now my hunt for a 71/84 stock continues! If anyone knows of any dealers, manufacturers or sources around Europe who don't show up with a normal Google search, please shout!