Cleaning Brass

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Cleaning Brass

#11 Post by dromia »

I find wet cleaning a needless carry on unless your vanity makes you want as new looking cases.

Dry tumbling/vibrating is fine for the smokeless cases.

I do use wet cleaning for my BP cases my medium of preference for that is ceramic, however for the smaller cases like the 32-20 I do have to use the pins as the ceramic is too large to fit inside the cases effectively. I dread using the pins as they are just a full blown fiddly feck on which unfortunately means that I shoot my 32-20 a lot less than I would like to.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
flamoudi
Home club or Range: CVPC Ashgill Scotland

#12 Post by flamoudi »

Ive had a tiny bit of pin media that hid in a case and got into the action of my rifle. Put me right off! Nice to have clean shiny brass before annealing though.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:30 am chuck in deprimed brass and pins. fill almost to the top with water (i use hot out the tap, not out the kettle). squirt of washing up liquid, pinch of citric acid (i'll send you some with the tumbler so you can see with and without and decide if it's worth it or not) put lid on the drum, stick on base and turn on. I adjust speed for how much brass is in the drum. If you go too fast the cases are held to the wall and don't really move, too slow and they don't clean. basically turn it up until it goes quiet, then step down one. and leave it to run. when the timer runs out, look at the brass and decide if you want another go or if it's good to go. if water isn't bubbly at the end, you may need more fairy next time.

when done, empty drum into the separator. close it up and give it a few very gentle spins to clear the bulk of the pins, then go a bit faster and for a minute or so, then all the pins should be out.

depending on how soapy the brass is, I may rinse it now, or sometimes I just empty it in a bowl of water and then pull it back out to dry. some say this defeats the object of the acid, but nothing stopping you putting it in the dunk bowl too.

pull out the brass and dry. I use a food dehydrator sold for drying brass. some people throw them in the oven after dinner, some just leave them on a towel and drip dry.

then pour the dirty water out through a sieve(test first, some plastic mesh ones will let the pins through) or an old tea towel to get the pins out the bucket, chuck back in the drum to store. the pins are stainless and I've never seen any corrosion on them so you don't need to worry about them being damp. they are also magnetic, so you can pick up any dropped ones quick with a magnet tool
I use something like this, but not really sure on the search term, pretty sure I paid half that.
https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/ ... ZT1002225X
I have a magnetic pick up tool I use for removing swarf from the lathe. If they are magnetic they are not pure stainless steel.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

They're just not 316, but they are definitely a stainless flavour of some sort
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by 1066 »

This is how I tumble my brass:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/bcyAkj-LzA8[/youtube]
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#16 Post by Pete »

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Alpha1

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks for that an interesting read. The Company I work for designs and builds Chemical plants all over the World. I am up to speed with materials of construction but thanks any way. :good:
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

1066 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:23 pm This is how I tumble my brass:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/bcyAkj-LzA8[/youtube]

Thanks for sharing. I was having a discussion at work with a fellow shooter and mentioned I had bought a Rotary tumbler after describing it to him he laughed and said come on follow me Dave I have some thing to show you.
We left the building and went into the Technical Development Area were the laboratories are. He ushered me into a side room and pointed to an Industrial size Rotary tumbler its bigger than the one in the You tube link.
Only issue is I don't think the Company would be impressed if I filled it with brass cartridge cases. lol

Yes I know double post
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#19 Post by channel12 »

The question is why the obsession with very shiny brass, the manufacturers of ammunition for the military don't bother producing shiny brass cartridges.

It seems we have forgotten the reasons why we clean our cases before reloading which is to remove any surface dirt/grit which would possibly damage our reloading die.

As somebody once said on the subject of wet stainless steel pin cleaning "the rifle doesn't care if the brass is very shiny" and considering some of us have scraped surface corrosion off old milsurp and shot it without issues they had a point.

Me, I dry tumble with walnut nut media, but my Snider cases just get warm soapy water in a washing up bowl.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#20 Post by ukrifleman »

I de-prime the cases, then place the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner with warm water and bi-carbonate of soda.

It normally takes about 20-30 mins to clean a batch of cases if they are not too heavily tarnished.

ukrifleman